PDA

View Full Version : noob question

Zargen
03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Is there a list of all the commands for the game someplace? I've poked around and haven't been able to find it.

Zargen
03-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Found it! :D

ZeroTheBird
03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Thats Awesome!

Baranor
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
How long have you been playing Zargen?

Welcome!

theotherhiveking
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Remenber that \Co like controls are Crtl + the key.

Zargen
03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Another question!

Live Sacrifices. How do I go about getting all that good stuff done :D

Lol'th enjoys my wands and books. and the occasional mass heaping of corpses. But I want the big bucks.

Also - Been playing for a few days now.

rmcin329
03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
thats easy, just lure the monster onto an altar and then use a capital O(like that one) for the offer command to sacrifce said monster. Beware though, humaniod monsters can sacrifice you if you're standing on an altar. Also make sure you don't sacrifice monsters that match the alignment of the altar(for white marble altars don't sacrifice lawful stuff like say a blink dog) as this can make the deity mad at you which isn't a good thing

theotherhiveking
03-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Chaotic gods dont mind the monster alignment.

rmcin329
03-20-2008, 10:11 PM
hmmn i wonder if lawful gods like chaotic living sacrifices more then neutral lol. Never really thought to check.

Macros
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Sacrificing on white altar is very safe - there are very few lawful monsters in game, and only one that you can meet in early game is blink dog(which from obvious reasons can't sacrifice you). Only monster that actually could sacrifice you(I think, never really checked this though) is ki-rin, but it's very rare monster, and you won't meet him in early and mid game.

Also you can sacrifice everything non-lawful on white altar(except for monster that every god won't accept, like bredders, summoned monsters, undeads, constructs and few others), so sacrificing on white altar is actually best choice.

just lure the monster onto an altar

Actually you don't even have to lure it, just be sure that monster have free way to altar, and wait for him(press "w" and "5" on numpad). If you're about precrowning, luring every single monster is very time consuming, so it's better just to wait near altar for them.

Zargen
03-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow I feel like such a dumbass XD. I started doing some live sacrifices and completely forgot about what you guys said about them being able to sacrifice me. Needless to say. There goes my lvl 12 necromancer.

Zargen
03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
How do I check my alignment? >.o

- also. holy symbols. What are those for? Obviously using it makes me pray...But does it raise piety or something without an altar?

borutaman
03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
those first two sentences sound familliar Macros ;)
You can sacrifice a breeder, but it has to be the very first one of them on the level, so You have to spot them early, to know with is the one - works for claw bugs and various jellys, can't remember sacking worms
You can't sacrifice bees (never checked the queen though) - same for ants (not totally sure, but just can't remember being able to sac one)

borutaman
03-21-2008, 01:00 AM
lol. been writing my post too long xD
Your alligment is in the lower right corner of the screen. It can be C, N, L with + or - or =

Zargen
03-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for answering all my questions. :P

Got another though. Looking at the faq I see "heir" items there. What are those about?

Dorten
03-21-2008, 04:24 AM
You CAN sacrifice bees and ants. I have done it for times. But someone said, that bees generated after kicking a hive are concidered summoned. THEY may not be sacrificable

Macros
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
those first two sentences sound familliar Macros

Well, yes they sound a bit similiar, but I mean there that sacrificing on white altar is safe and comfortable because:

1.No one will sacrifice you(lawful monsters are rare)
2.You can sacrifice almost everything, unlike neutrals(same reason as above)

:)

Zargen
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Behold! Another question.

Just made a bard...WTF can a bard do? XD. Sure I'm spamming U here seeing if it does anything. But all he does is sit there and play his mandolin to no apparent affects adverse or otherwise(other then making me hungry)

What exactly does being a bard -do-

Macros
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Playing on instruments can calm down(and tame) wild animal. Bards are very weak at the beginning, good idea is to wander a bit on ID1 and ID2 to collect some(some good weapon like orcish spear, shield, and some decent armor). But on the other hand, they're very powerful in late game.

Little hint: killer bugs(or even greater claw bug at the beginning) are very good pets, but attempt to tame them on low level is very risky though.

borutaman
03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Dorten -> thx for info - I guess I haven't been playing for some time ;)

Zargen
03-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Hello again guys. How do I chop down a tree?

rmcin329
03-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Find a hatchet, then equip it in your tool slot. Then stand on a tree and press u to use it. Make sure you're well fed first though(satiated or bloated) because chopping down a tree takes a long time.

Zargen
03-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Another one! Regarding starting talents. Do certain races/classes start with more/less?

I noticed when I make a troll barbarian I seem to only get 1 starting talent, unless I get born under a sign that gives an extra.

Laukku
03-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Yes, Zargen.

sacrificing on white altar is safe and comfortable because:

1.No one will sacrifice you(lawful monsters are rare)

I thought that if you are lawful, lawful creatures cannot sacrifice you.:confused: Anyway, they normally aren't hostile to lawfuls.

Zargen
03-22-2008, 07:50 AM
What the bugger is a Tract of chaos and what does it do!? I started with that instead of the typical spellbook for Necromancers. So I read it. Didn't really do anything apparent. And now I have a spelless necro.

Nezur
03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
What the bugger is a Tract of chaos and what does it do!? I started with that instead of the typical spellbook for Necromancers. So I read it. Didn't really do anything apparent. And now I have a spelless necro.

I don't recommend reading Tracts of Chaos - they aren't really beneficial and their exact effects are a bit unclear.

About the starting talents... the following is copied from the ADOM Manual:

Initial Talents
---------------

The initial number of talents is determined according to the following
rules:

- Every character receives one base talent.
- Characters born under the sign of Falcon or Candle receive one
free talent.
- Characters with a Mana score of 18 or more receive one free
talent.
- Gnomes and hurthlings receive one free talent.
- Bards, merchants and farmers receive one free talent.
- Characters whose sum of attributes is divisable by 7 receive one
free talent (this represents some inborn magical luck or talent).

---

The manual is a great way to learn the basics because it does not contain spoilers.

Macros
03-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought that if you are lawful, lawful creatures cannot sacrifice you. Anyway, they normally aren't hostile to lawfuls.

I'm not sure about this. Yes, you're right, normally they're peaceful, but under special circumstances(like ki-rin in tension room), they can be hostile. I never really tested if hostile lawful creature will sacrifice lawful PC, but I guess it's possible.

Zargen
03-23-2008, 03:41 AM
To qualify as a true berserker you need to wear -no- armor. Which I got down good with a 35 strength troll barbarian :D

But. What about amulets and rings of defence? Do those count as armor?

Zargen
03-23-2008, 04:10 AM
Also. Eating any kind of demon corpse=bad right? :confused:

Macros
03-23-2008, 05:38 PM
But. What about amulets and rings of defence? Do those count as armor?

As far as I remember, they doesn't count.

Eating any kind of demon corpse=bad right?

Usually yes, I don't remember if eating any demon corpse have some positive effects(I highly doubt it).

theotherhiveking
03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
What about the holy symbols?

Macros
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
I believe that only use for them is to check if it's actually safe to pray("you pray, you feel comfortable"). Maybe it also gives very small bonus to piety when used, but I'm not sure here.

Zargen
03-25-2008, 12:53 AM
You suddenly start to sweat!

Any idea what thats supposed to mean? Just ate a daemon corpse.

Mad Minstrel
03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
You suddenly start to sweat!

Any idea what thats supposed to mean? Just ate a daemon corpse.

Doomed intrinsic. Of course this is a bad thing and you should try to get rid of this as soon as possible.