PDA

View Full Version : "Go to" command

Moeba
11-06-2009, 08:41 PM
What I would like in Jade, and in ADOM for that matter, is something like a 'go to'-command. Just like shooting but then you walk to the point instead, like the w4 w6 et cetera commands do - best would be if you could point the point with a mouse, but I doubt that's possible. Walking would be a lot more relaxed, atm I just spam walk buttons and w<direction>'s to walk swiftly, which I often do in explored dungeons. Resulting in an accidental cat kill, a karmic lizard hit, in walking right into a too strong monster, et cetera. I just would like it a lot when you don't have to spend such a lot of time on walking.

Dudley
11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
And that ice breaking...

Fullmoon
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Um... So, you realize that you actually proposing pathfinding engine? I played in NH, and I say NO WAY! This can only end very wrong.

...and yes, all those ice breaking...

Moeba
12-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Why can it only end wrong? if it was just like the w6 etc. with the pathfinding as extra, that's about what I would like. Or is pathfinding that hard to implement well? I can name enough games where the pathfinding gets stuck sometimes, but even if that's the case you can estimate when it will and split the walk in parts.

Archenon
08-15-2011, 06:44 PM
"Go to" works very well in both Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (which has excellent system for inter-level searching and traveling too) and the Legend of Siegfried. Makes gameplay a lot less tedious. No reason why it wouldn't work in JADE too.

CommanderC
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM
The pathfinding engine already exists (try the w< command).