Tone down blind rage
issueid=1119 07-06-2012 11:46 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Laukku: 56
Tone down blind rage

As it is now, the "blind rage" state of monsters is overpowered and can kill a character way too easily. Besides, as the monster is in a weakened state, suddenly becoming much more powerful doesn't make much sense.

Maybe make it so that the monster gets the extra attacks, but slightly decreased to-damage (when you're attacking many more times per turn there's no way you can put as much energy on all of them) and drastically decreased DV (the monster is just attacking blindly).
Issue Details
Issue Number 1119
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Implemented
Priority 6
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-10-2012 11:16 AM
The Creator
As monsters do not only get enraged in this way when heavily wounded (yes, there are other situations) I will tune down the damage for heavily wounded monsters. I also have increased the DV malus.

12-10-2012 04:55 PM
Ancient Member
I think tuning down the to Hit makes a little more sense. I mean the thing can't see you or anything for that matter.

Or is that what you mean with DV malus? My appology for not understanding that word.

I'm just scared ppl start asking for all critically injured creatures damage output to be tuned down.

I thought this was about BLIND monsters raging.

12-10-2012 04:58 PM
Ancient Member
What was the DV penalty for blind raging monsters? 3 points?

10-24-2013 04:23 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
As monsters do not only get enraged in this way when heavily wounded (yes, there are other situations) I will tune down the damage for heavily wounded monsters. I also have increased the DV malus.
I think this change might have been lost or something else got changed.

just went into the tower of flames, lvl 16 wizard, 52dv, 25PV, 135 hp. Hit a grue with a frost bolt and he was able to hit me from 135 to -15 in one round. Doesn't gel with anything else i've ever seen in the game.

10-24-2013 05:09 PM
Ancient Member
Monsters can get high-damage critical hits even without blind rage. 150 damage is not so much. About half of the monsters in the ToEF can probably hit that on a critical.

10-24-2013 10:22 PM
Ancient Member
If you haven't seen ~150 damage crits anywhere else in the game you didn't get very far.

10-25-2013 09:21 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Monsters can get high-damage critical hits even without blind rage. 150 damage is not so much. About half of the monsters in the ToEF can probably hit that on a critical.
not on the bottom floor, not on grue that has a damage around the 20-35 mark. just doesn't make sense to do 150.

10-25-2013 09:22 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
If you haven't seen ~150 damage crits anywhere else in the game you didn't get very far.
in the ToEF unless your fighting a wyrm i would very unlikely i would think. Obviously elsewhere in the game its going to be alot higher.

10-25-2013 09:39 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
not on the bottom floor, not on grue that has a damage around the 20-35 mark. just doesn't make sense to do 150.
I'm assuming you checked that with a stethoscope, remember stethoscope information does not include critical hits. Also the poster did not mention it was one hit, it could have been multiple and his speed/energy might have been low adding the possibility for extra hits. He has hinted at being a hoarder in some threads. Pardon, for some obscure reason I thought it was someone else. Gawd

10-25-2013 10:33 AM
Ancient Member
A fire grue has 2 attacks per turn. If you got critted twice, 150 damage in a turn seems perfectly possible. Unlucky, but possible. I'm also pretty sure that the maximum non-crit damage of a fire grue is definitely more than 35.

Also, when judging these things one has to take into account that crits double pre-PV damage, but the effect of PV means that effective damage is more than double.

Example, single hit, 40 damage, 20 PV -> 20 final damage.
Double hit, 40 and 40 damage, 20 PV -> 20+20=40 final damage.
Double crit, 80 and 80 damage, 20 PV -> 60+60=120 final damage.

10-25-2013 03:02 PM
Ancient Member
If we're talking about just the ToEF, for as long as I can think back elementals, grues, the ACW, the fire giants and especially fire giant kings... I am prepared for 150+ damage crits as a matter of course. I feel on edge at any max hp score below 180 or so, and I'll instantly heal up if ever drop below 150. It's not a nice place at all. I'm puzzled how you came to have different expectations.

+ Reply