Covered Pit Bug
issueid=112 04-06-2010 01:09 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Covered Pit Bug
Covering a pit changes the trap type

If a PC digs a hole (or generates a pit through some other means, eg. failing to read a spellbook), and proceeds to cover the hole with a plain blanket, instead of a covered pit trap appearing, the trap will magically transform into whatever kind of trap is "appropriate" for that square--that is, whatever trap would be produced on that square if the PC used a wand of trap creation (or a trap was generated natively on that square).

Given that making a covered pit isn't really all that useful anyway, this isn't exactly a high priority issue...
Issue Details
Issue Number 112
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-20-2012 06:32 AM
The Creator
As a side effect of fixing this minor thing ADOM now truly randomly provides traps - there no longer is a hidden pattern or formula to them :-)

12-20-2012 06:42 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
As a side effect of fixing this minor thing ADOM now truly randomly provides traps - there no longer is a hidden pattern or formula to them :-)
I wonder what the VDDL looks like now...

12-20-2012 06:44 AM
Ancient Member
That's great!

12-20-2012 07:45 AM
Ancient Member
There goes Minotaur Maze! xD

12-20-2012 07:52 AM
Ancient Member
I personally dislike this change a lot, but I guess I will reserve judgement until evaluating it in p8.

Also, I always thought it was pretty neat that you could create any trap by covering a pit---and lord knows, the chances of you being able to use this trick were really extremely rare, so I don't know why that needed to be changed, per se.

12-20-2012 10:02 AM
Cats in the arena will quite fun also :)

12-20-2012 10:56 AM
Ancient Member
People have been creating all sorts of traps with blankets and pits left and right, SirTheta. It definitely wasn't intentional. Now all you get is pit traps, as would be expected.

The end of the fixed trap pattern makes me kind of giddy - especially if it results in random trap setups in the pyramid or the dwarven graveyard. I've been evading traps by heart for years, and always knew exactly where to look for convenient teleports.

12-20-2012 11:07 AM
Ancient Member
They really haven't, Silfir. A wand of trap creation is like 100x more likely than an expendable blanket, and it's rechargeable to boot. It's really not that common a tactic, from what I see [and what I use]. I also don't see why this wouldn't be 'expected'; ADOM is a rather magical place after all.

12-20-2012 12:07 PM
Ancient Member
Wow, people are defending covered pits turning into other trap types? That's one of the worst, immersion-killing bugs in the game. There was absolutely no logic behind it.

12-20-2012 02:32 PM
Ancient Member
^ Agreed. Where do stone blocks or spears fall from if you create those traps in open-air areas?

Anyway, a truly random layout is an interesting thing. Goodbye to using the TTTN method for detecting fake levels and creating free teleports, I guess.

12-21-2012 08:31 AM
Ancient Member
Oh c'mon, there's no 'logic' behind half the things in ADOM! It made perfect sense to me ('immersion-killing'?!). ADOM's a pretty magical place (I mean, just look at what some of these wands can do), why couldn't the natural magic/corruption in dungeons create wildly different trap types when you used a blanket over a pit?

12-21-2012 08:47 AM
Ancient Member
There's fantasy and then there's pure lack of logic. Even though there's stuff in ADOM (or any other fantasy setting) that doesn't exist in the real world, it still has to follow its own rules. (The Belgariad is a great example of magic with well-specified, consistent rules.) Pits and blankets are both mundane real-world items, and covering a pit with a blanket in real life wouldn't produce an arrow trap out of thin air. There's nothing in ADOM's pits and blankets that hints that there'd be something magical about them, so a player would expect them to behave just like in real life. Would you defend this bug if it appeared in a game in a sci-fi setting?

12-21-2012 02:59 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
I wonder what the VDDL looks like now...
Hopefully the Creator remembered to keep it the same.

12-21-2012 03:31 PM
Ancient Member
Hell no. Random teleport trap VDDL is going to be the funkiest place ever.

+ Reply