'l'ooking at an altar should tell you its color.
issueid=1188 08-19-2012 09:44 PM
Number of reported issues by Alucard: 22
'l'ooking at an altar should tell you its color.

Right now the only way to find out the alignment of an altar is to either have a system that shows colors flawlessly and good eyesight, or to stand on the altar, which can possibly be fatal. (courtesy of hw3patch)
Issue Details
Issue Number 1188
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 13
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-19-2012 11:24 PM
Ancient Member
On the Windows port, it can be tough to distinguish between neutral and lawful altars sometimes.

08-20-2012 12:14 AM
I like it only if it tells you the color if you are directly adjacent to the altar (like with items). Otherwise, it just says "an altar" or whatever.

08-20-2012 04:57 AM
Isn't this problem better taken care of by solving the actual problem: if the colours are bad, change them?

08-20-2012 01:59 PM
Ancient Member
Good colors or bad, the 'l'ook mode should give that information - after all, not everyone has good eyesight (there are even blind people who play roguelikes!).

08-20-2012 04:22 PM
I like this idea, with Kyreles' caveat.

08-20-2012 06:49 PM
If it's implemented, 'l'ooking should logically give the same info to the character as it does to the player: the player can see the color of the altar, so why can't the 'l'ook command tell you?

Presumably, the reason that the altar is black/grey/white on the screen is because the character can see the color.

12-08-2012 03:51 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by pipe
If it's implemented, 'l'ooking should logically give the same info to the character as it does to the player: the player can see the color of the altar, so why can't the 'l'ook command tell you?

Presumably, the reason that the altar is black/grey/white on the screen is because the character can see the color.
The problem right now is that ADOM stores the physical information for a tile (the character and the color), but not its semantics. Thus - if altar alignment were to change for some reason while you can't see the altar - 'l'ook would provide information that would not match the on-screen display.

12-08-2012 07:48 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The problem right now is that ADOM stores the physical information for a tile (the character and the color), but not its semantics. Thus - if altar alignment were to change for some reason while you can't see the altar - 'l'ook would provide information that would not match the on-screen display.
I don't know of any reason why an altar could change alignment while you're unable to see it. Unless there is an unrevealed secret in the game that makes altars change alignment, this shouldn't be an issue afaik.

edit: oh wait, maybe if you're saccing things while blind? Hmm..

12-08-2012 08:17 PM
In that case why should you be able to look while blind? I guess it depends on whether the player is looking, or the character...

12-09-2012 12:27 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
While I understand the concern about it, I don't see why it couldn't just look at the colour of the tile and report based on that.

After all, if you look at a space that had an item on it from outside of LOS, it still says there's an item there, even if it's been picked up or destroyed/rotted. Just use the same approach to altars - when the PC last saw the altar, it was white, so it's a "white altar" until they see otherwise.

12-09-2012 12:46 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
After all, if you look at a space that had an item on it from outside of LOS, it still says there's an item there, even if it's been picked up or destroyed/rotted.
Actually, due to a bug, it does not :D

12-09-2012 12:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Actually, due to a bug, it does not :D
Ah, then that also needs to be fixed up.

12-10-2012 09:53 AM
Would it be possible to add a check to see if the altar is within the PC's range of vision whenyou 'l'ook at it? If so, then one possible solution would be to have the altar's colour reported in those circumstances, but not if you're further away. Alternatively, have it report the altar's colour if you're standing right next to it, in the same way you can identify items by 'l'ooking only when you're adjacent to them.

I definitely think that this issue should be addressed somehow, though. It can be very annoying not to be able to tell an altar's allignment without taking the potentially fatal step of standing on it.

01-10-2013 10:36 AM
The Creator
I played safe: If the PC can currently see the altar the player is informed about altar alignment.

01-13-2013 08:01 PM
Ancient Member
In 1.2p9 the altar color messages are wrong - I've encountered a neutral altar (didn't check the message), converted it to chaotic, then remembered to check the message (shows correctly).
However, I've found lawful deeper in CoC, and the message still says it's chaotic. Same for neutral one in DT.
Attaching a file (PC on D:10 near the lawful altar, DT with neutral one can be found on previous level)

+ Reply