Kicking certain items should hurt you like with anvils
issueid=1212 08-26-2012 01:44 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Kicking certain items should hurt you like with anvils
Anvils hurt when kicked, but other heavy/ier items do not, and it feels they should.

Suggestion
Kicking an anvil gives you a message about your action hurting a lot, which is very sensible. However, kicking other very heavy items does not. I would propose the following ones get the same treatment:

* huge rocks: they weigh the same as an anvil.
* axe of the minotaur emperor: it weighs 200s more than an anvil.
* moloch armors: they weigh 15000s! Yet you can kick them around like they're fluff balls.
* logs: they weigh 800s.
* lead-filled mace: it weighs 800s.

Why it'd improve the game
Excellent attention to detail has always been one of ADOM's fortes. If kicking an anvil "definitely hurt[s]", it seems to me that other similarly-heavy items should, too.

Notes
Immobile forges and trees also hurt when kicked (regardless of PV?).
Issue Details
Issue Number 1212
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-26-2012 02:40 AM
Definitely agree that kicking huge rocks and logs should hurt.

08-26-2012 04:00 AM
It seems to me that what can be kicked should depend on the PC's strength (and possibly class, regarding the ones capable of kicking down walls, etc).

Something like... if you kick an object heavier than 50*St, it won't move, and the weight above this value decides how much damage it does. This makes it so that you must have Strength of at least 20 to be capable of successfully kicking an anvil, and Moloch Armors are simply not going to move by kicking, no matter what. As for what happens if it's too heavy, I'd suggest something like Weight/50 - St damage, capped at, say, St. What this means is that, for instance, a character with Strength of 5 trying to kick an anvil (1000s), you work out the damage number, which is 1000/50 - 5 = 20 - 5 = 15... but the PC only has a strength of 5, which limits how hard they can kick, and thus it does 5 HP damage. A character with Strength of 99 trying to kick a Moloch Armor will be hurt by 15000/50 - 99 = 201, which is bigger than 99, and thus it does 99 HP damage. On the other hand, if a PC with 15 strength kicks an anvil, they are hit for 1000/50 - 15 = 5 HP.

I'd also suggest that kicking walls shouldn't be a fixed amount of damage, but should increase with strength to some degree (although I'd limit it somewhat, because you're not likely to be kicking a wall trying to get it to move, like with items). Something like Strength/4 (rounded down) would make sense. So if your PV is greater than St/4, you won't be harmed by kicking a wall.

Oh, and for kicking statues, a kick that fails to break the statue and that is strong enough to move an object of that weight should make the statue move, just like any other item.

12-12-2012 05:13 PM
Ancient Member
If this is implemented, might ask that logic still prevail and heavy soft items not hurt. :-)

Thanx this reminds me of a bug.

12-12-2012 05:33 PM
Logs are soft enough IMO. And they are round (cylidrical), so they can be moved no matter how heavy they are.

12-18-2012 02:48 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver
Logs are soft enough IMO. And they are round (cylindrical), so they can be moved no matter how heavy they are.
Mmm, but they would only have a 1/4 chance of facing the direction you wish to kick them.

In general I agree with limits on kicking items on the ground. Things like Strength of Atlas and girdles of greed, only affect stuff the character is carrying: stuff on the ground should be subject to a bit more reason, a bit less magical nonsense.

12-19-2012 05:03 PM
I approve of adding detail, so I'd like to see this :)

01-10-2013 04:02 PM
The Creator
Added this for logs and huge rocks. All the other items IMHO are either flexible enough or movable enough to not warrant damage in any case.

+ Reply