YASD: Power loss
issueid=1217 08-27-2012 05:38 AM
Number of reported issues by coppro: 17
YASD: Power loss
Regular backups needed

This is annoying enough for me to class as a bug, not a feature: if your game ends prematurely, such as due to the power cable wiggling loose or your battery dying, it's kaput. It should be easy enough to make a backup save, say, every time you change dungeon levels.

Applies on all OSes.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1217
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Users able to reproduce bug 9
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-27-2012 06:59 PM
Ancient Member
I'm for anything that prevents you from losing your progress forever in the event of a crash or power failure. Automatic backups, or maybe the possibility of recreating a savefile from the files in the tmpdat directory, if that's even possible from a coding perspective.

08-30-2012 08:28 AM
Ok, that's a great idea! My most ridiculous death in ADOM was when the house I live in suddenly went on fire while I was playing ADOM, so I grabbed my documents, cash money, my cat and notebook and ran out of the building. When I got back a couple of hours ago I found my notebook discharged and thus powered off. When I switched it on I found that my hero has disappeared without a trace. RIP...

12-12-2012 07:38 PM
Ancient Member
I also am at risk of losing my progress due to power outages and would love it if the game made automatic saves. I'm bringing this to the fore again, because I had one lately.
I make a backup copy every time something important happens.

So, I was able to resume from my backup and thus was able to notice that the game now generates some things in advance.

So, if your concern was that ppl might abuse such a feature for so-called save-scumming. You've already lessened possible gains a player could have had from such unlawful action. Very neat, it made me smile.

I would dearly appreciate this enhancement.

12-12-2012 07:52 PM
Obligatory plug for the server: for 1.1.1, it backs up every 1000 turns and whenever you press Sn; for all versions it backs up when you press Sy; you can lose your network connection or power without losing game time; and it's very rare for the server to lose power (hasn't happened yet).

For local games though, there is the concern of save scumming. But as long as all backups are deleted when you die/quit/win, I don't think it would be any different than people copying save games after save and quit now.

12-13-2012 11:43 AM
I would like to add that being a Windows user I often experience an unexpected freeze or a reboot of the system which also leads to the death of the character I'm currently playing.
Definitely voting for this one.

12-13-2012 03:00 PM
Thumbs up for a simple but extremely useful idea! In my experience only the strongest chars fall to this kind of YASD (not surprisingly).

01-26-2014 05:13 PM
Administrator
Instead of deleting a save game when it is loaded, it is now renamed, leaving a backup copy in case the PC/game crashes. The user has to manually rename the backup copy to restore the save game. The backup is deleted automatically if the PC dies, quits or wins.

I leave the "Auto save every x steps" feature to Thomas (see issue 2490).

+ Reply