[Balance] Herbs respect potential maximums
issueid=1269 10-04-2012 10:11 AM
Number of reported issues by prime: 1
[Balance] Herbs respect potential maximums
Herbs should not train a stat above its potential maximum

Herb farming is a tedious chore, but one that many players feel they have to go through because of its massive impact on the game. Being able to train Dx/Wi/To to 25 adds so much to survivability that nearly every character ends up doing this mindless grinding.

My suggestion to address this is to disallow herbs from raising potential maximums.

Right now, potential maximums have little relevance on the game. They merely slow down training, even though supposedly they can only rarely be surpassed naturally. If herbs respect these maximums, we won't end up with every character looking identical by the midgame. (on a flavor note, it explains why the farmers in Terinyo aren't all supermen with troll-like constitutions, elf-like agility and wills of iron). This makes potions of potential stat actually useful, instead of being marginally worse than potions of uselessness.

It also means that players won't feel obligated to spend as much time farming stat herbs. If your willpower has a potential maximum of 15, you only need to pick enough to get it there, which can easily be obtained without serious farming. But being able to push willpower up to 25 with no additional risk means there's pressure to set up camp and gather a hundred morgia instead of actually playing the game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1269
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 4
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-04-2012 07:15 PM

10-04-2012 08:51 PM
I did a search for herbs, so I didn't see that thread :(

10-04-2012 10:04 PM
Ancient Member
I think this is a sufficiently differentiated suggestion from the other. In particular, the other suggestion involves raising stats to their potential maximum instead of to 25, which this suggestion fixes.

10-04-2012 10:21 PM
Ancient Member
I think it's the same?

Or is prime suggesting that herbs should raise stat to MIN(potential max, 25)?

10-04-2012 10:23 PM
Ancient Member
The latter. The suggestion is to disallow herbs to raise the potential maximum. It does not remove the intrinsic limit of 25 from herbs.

10-05-2012 01:51 AM
Yeah, it would be MIN(potential max, 25). IMO, an upper limit of 25 is plenty. Attaining truly exceptional values should come with an element of risk.

10-05-2012 04:03 PM
Ancient Member
I must say that I like the idea of herbs not being able to raise stat potentials. In fact, I think it should only be raisable by potions.
Perhaps making herbs scarcer by giving herb bushes a lifespan is another solution or randomize the type of bush when it spawns, rather than the repeating pattern we now have.

12-11-2012 09:06 AM
The Creator
Has been implemented (kind of) among the various issues fixed during the last couple of days.

+ Reply