Crashes and strange behavior when quitting game
issueid=1286 10-21-2012 08:02 PM
Number of reported issues by aerol: 71
Crashes and strange behavior when quitting game
The game crashes when finishing a game normally and displays an error message when quitting without starting a game

When finishing a game through dying, saving or [Q]uitting, the game throws up a signal 291 error. In the case of saving the game, the savefile will be preserved. If you quit the game at the starting screen by pressing [q], a different error message will be displayed: "ADOM session aborted due to an external problem. Problem description: Could not remove 'c:/adom_dat/tmpdat/42'."

The second error seems to involve the game looking for the wrong directory, since it would be c:/adom/adom_dat/tmpdat/42 instead.

This is just a guess but perhaps this error is related to new game behavior related to the fixing of the adom.prc issue.

How to reproduce: start the game, generate a character, make him die, [S]ave the game or [Q]uit.

To reproduce the second type of behavior, simply start the game and select [q]uit the game at the starting menu.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1286
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category MS-DOS
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 4
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-21-2012 08:37 PM
Administrator
Damn, I tested the MS-DOS version today (along others) and didn't notice any issues. :(

It seems I can't reproduce this with Windows XP. Where are you using the MS-DOS version? Can you provide me with the output of "adom -d"? Thanks!

10-21-2012 08:51 PM
Ancient Member
I use the MS-DOS version in Dosbox and can reproduce this. I have to go now, but I'll paste the input later.

Also, in my Dosbox rig, the game now seems to require CWSDPMI.EXE, which it didn't require before. Not a real problem because I downloaded that file from the internet and everything seems to work fine (except for the mentioned quitting bug), but I thought I should mention it since that change is not in the changelog.

10-21-2012 08:58 PM
Administrator
Ok, I'll try this again in Dosbox. It seems I forgot to pack the CWSDPMI.EXE into the archive, it was part of Prerelease 1 (though not Prerelease 3).

Update: This is really odd... I can't reproduce the problem with Dosbox 0.74 on OSX. :(

10-21-2012 09:18 PM
I am also using Dosbox 0.74 on Windows 7 64-bit (I had copied cwsdpmi.exe from the prerelease 1 package over to the adom directory with prerelease 3 and I did the same with prerelease 4).

10-21-2012 09:54 PM
Administrator
I could reproduce the problem. It happens if you start ADOM directly from the root directory of the drive. To fix it please create a subdirectory for ADOM and move all the game files there.

Additionally I've uploaded a new archive for MS-DOS containing the missing CWSDPMI.EXE.

10-21-2012 10:32 PM
It's not clear to me what the method is for fixing the problem. ADOM is housed in its own folder in my computer (x:\adom\). I tried starting it from another subdirectory (x:\shrtname\adom\) and still encountered the same problem.

10-21-2012 10:38 PM
The problem was fixed after I deleted adom\adomdat\tmp_dat\42 and started adom from another subdirectory (x:\shrtname\adom\ in my case). I had to mount x:\shrtname\ in dosbox and then cd to \adom\ and then run the game.

Edit: I only now saw Jochen's adom -d request. Do you still need this information?

10-21-2012 11:13 PM
Administrator
Yes, you need a directory within the directory that was mounted in Dosbox, as you already figured out. :)
No, the "adom -d" output is not necessary anymore.

10-22-2012 05:07 AM
The Creator
How about we package the dos version with a preconfigured direction (e.g. "adom\...") in order to reduce the probability of folks starting ADOM in the root folder?

10-22-2012 09:39 AM
Administrator
It's already packaged this way. But since this problem is new to Prerelease 4, it's very likely caused by my "adom.prc" changes.

10-24-2012 08:59 PM
Administrator
Fixed. Also fixed the problem that ADOM would not return to the initial directory when no version file was detected.

+ Reply