Change scrolls of chaos resistance
issueid=1350 11-17-2012 10:40 PM
Number of reported issues by Dervi: 20
Change scrolls of chaos resistance
Make "chaos resistance" different from "cure corruption"

So instead of removing some corruption, the scroll acts like a temporary "resistance" against corrupting attacks. This would be helpful against the heavy corrupting foes, and make the potions more useful.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1350
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 18
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-17-2012 11:08 PM
Ancient Member
However, this would make the game significantly more difficult... being able to have a couple of SoCR's in store to remove nasty corruptions really helps a lot in winning the game, and PoCC are very rare, at least for characters that aren't great in food preservation.

Maybe the corruption removal effect of SoCRs could be nerfed a bit, instead of removing it completely, and the resistance effect be added on top of the removal effect.

11-17-2012 11:38 PM
Ancient Member
Considering abundance of SoCR vs PoCC, adding effects to SoCR doesn't make much sense as they are already objectively 2x as good.

11-18-2012 01:40 AM
Ancient Member
This would be helpful against the heavy corrupting foes, and make the potions more useful.
The potions can be thrown at orb guardians for massive damage and weakening. That already makes them useful enough imo.

11-18-2012 02:46 AM
Ancient Member
What if I want to get rid of poison hands but have no thick gauntlets?

11-18-2012 07:12 AM
Ancient Member
The thrown potions also already remove corrupting attacks from monsters IIRC.

Making SoCR not remove corruption would be a huge spike in difficulty, especially for ultras. So... not a bad idea ;)

11-18-2012 07:26 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Making SoCR not remove corruption would be a huge spike in difficulty, especially for ultras. So... not a bad idea ;)
Bordering on impossible, so maybe not.

Changing the name to Scroll of Cure Corruption makes more sense.

We already have armour, shields, weapons, missiles, potions, spells, wands, gems, companions, scrolls of darkness, seven league boots to protect us against these corrupting monsters.

11-20-2012 06:30 AM
If that happens, what about ADOM's other redundant items ? Ring/helm of mental stability, ring/helm of teleport control, pepper petal/spenseweed, ring of ice/fireproof blanket, potion of wonder/wand of wonder, ring of mental stability/clear mind, ring of invisibility/cloak of invisibility... ?

11-20-2012 05:24 PM
Ancient Member
We should call them Scrolls of Corruption Removal so the acronym stays the same.

12-09-2012 04:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
We should call them Scrolls of Corruption Removal so the acronym stays the same.
I like this part, but none of the other suggestions. :) Corruption removal is very important, and it's good to have it available from two different sources: they are susceptible to different types of damage, affected differently by poison hands, found in different quantities, require differing amounts of holy water to bless a stack, etc, etc. All good things.

On a similar note, scrolls of balance and potions of balance are very confusing to me, because they have the same name, but do very different things.

12-09-2012 10:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
I like this part, but none of the other suggestions. :)
I feel the same way. Change the name and nothing else.

12-11-2012 12:18 PM
The Creator
Implemented Greys suggestion.

12-11-2012 07:53 PM
Unless it is already, please make scroll of chaos resistance a wishing syntax for corruption removal so that old players aren't royally screwed if they decide to wish for them.

12-11-2012 08:52 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Renozhin
Unless it is already, please make scroll of chaos resistance a wishing syntax for corruption removal so that old players aren't royally screwed if they decide to wish for them.
Good point.

12-28-2012 03:59 PM
In my opinion, the only thing this change does is taking flavor away from the game.

12-28-2012 07:11 PM
Ancient Member
In my opinion it makes ambiguity less of an issue.

01-01-2013 08:00 PM
IMHO the change was unnecessary. Why was the ambiguity a problem? Magical objects should be a little mysterious and have exotic names which give extra flavor. And I remember it was fun to guess and try the effect of different strangely named items as a new player.

+ Reply