health regeneration apparently stopping after repeated poison
issueid=1425 12-12-2012 12:01 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
health regeneration apparently stopping after repeated poison

See savegame. This character no longer seems to regain any health, even while waiting a long time. She has recently been poisoned a few times.

edit: this is probably the effect of the worms corruption, not poison. Sorry for the false alarm.
edit again: Not worms, the decay corruption.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1425
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-12-2012 04:48 AM
I had the same thing happen to a chaos knight, although can't remember if the character was ever poisoned poisoned twice or not. There was no natural healing at all for at least 10000 turns (after which I quit the game), neither in the wilderness nor in a dungeon. No worms corruption, so it just might be a bug.

12-12-2012 04:49 AM
I've uploaded the character flag too.

12-12-2012 08:55 PM
I have also character suffering the issue. I don't think the PC has ever been poisoned, and doesn't have worms corruption. I waited about 4000 without generating any hp (run out of food then, so couldn't wait more).

12-12-2012 09:06 PM
Added the savegame.

12-12-2012 10:23 PM
Ancient Member
Correction, the corruption that says something like "your body is in a constant state of decay, requiring a lot of will to stay up" does this. Not worms.

12-12-2012 11:05 PM
Ancient Member
Completely stopping HP regeneration is too harsh. Perhaps the same effect as rotting armor would be better.

12-13-2012 04:40 AM
Ancient Member
I think the effect of this corruption is fine.
By the time a character becomes affected by corruption he/she should have alternative ways to heal wounds.
If not, then find some. The Big Room comes to mind.

12-13-2012 12:26 PM
@Stingray1 how do you propose a chaos knight at ZERO TURNS deals with this? rerolling?

12-13-2012 01:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Alucard
@Stingray1 how do you propose a chaos knight at ZERO TURNS deals with this? rerolling?
Chaos Knights are supposed to be a challenge, and have a lot of variability. Some corruptions are quite beneficial, while others are downright evil in their effect on play. A Chaos Knight dealing with this corruption faces the same problem (in terms of effect on the game's difficulty) as a Chaos Knight dealing with the Stiff Muscles corruption.

So yes, if someone chooses to play a Chaos Knight, gets this corruption as one of the starting corruptions, and doesn't want it to be that difficult, then they should reroll.

12-13-2012 01:49 PM
Ancient Member
I agree. It's a very harmful corruption but not more harmful than others like stiff muscles, or (situationally) poison hands. Corruptions have always been scary, that's why we go out of our way to get SoCRs... and Chaos Knights are clearly a challenge, no one should play them expecting them to be easy.

12-13-2012 01:52 PM
Ancient Member
Chaos knights being a challenge and rerolling are fair points, but I do think it's more punishing than stiff muscles. In the early game, I mean. Mid to late game, of course it is no longer so bad.

12-13-2012 04:47 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Alucard
Personally I won't re-roll. I'll take up the challenge. Either a player chose to play a CK or the player randomly rolled one, so the way I see it he wanted a challenging game.

CKs start with pretty high PV. I would go straight to DDL and then the Big Room. For healing herbs.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a CK survival discussion.

12-17-2012 01:25 PM
The Creator
Hmmm.. the decay corruption only halves healing speed...

12-17-2012 01:32 PM
Ancient Member
Yesterday I played a mist elven CK and there was a point in the game where health regeneration totally stopped. I went from the TotHK to the Barbarian clearing and I regenerated no HP at all. Then I went from the clearing to the ID, and regeneration worked as normal.

Sadly, I don't have a save that reflects this, but I don't think I even had the decay corruption.

12-17-2012 01:35 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Hmmm.. the decay corruption only halves healing speed...
Looking at comments, and at your response...

Is it possible that the decay corruption keeps halving healing speed, rather than just applying once? I could definitely see an accidental use of the current healing speed rather than the uncorrupted one in the statement telling it to halve healing speed.

EDIT: It could also explain why removing the corruption isn't undoing the effect, and thus why they're seeing it stopped even without the corruption currently happening. If you just double the current healing speed when removing the corruption, it would result in extremely slow healing, if it kept being halved first.

12-17-2012 01:38 PM
Ancient Member
Or halving amount of healing every time you're healed, which is usually 1 at a time. And 1 halved is 0 (when calculating with integers).

12-20-2012 08:01 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Sami
Or halving amount of healing every time you're healed, which is usually 1 at a time. And 1 halved is 0 (when calculating with integers).
No, I was not precise enough. Actually it doubles the time it takes to heal by causing normal healing to kick in only on every other turn.

And it's directly dependent on the corruption being active so there can't be any lingering effects.

12-20-2012 08:12 AM
Ancient Member
That could explain it. Normal healing only restores hitpoints once in every so many turns, so if that happens to interfere badly there will be no healing. (For example, if you currently heal 1 HP every 4 turns naturally the corruption could negate it completely.)

02-17-2013 06:22 PM
Given the discussion above it seems like Thomas should decide if this needs to be marked as Not a Bug or not :)

04-22-2014 09:18 PM
The Creator
I have randomized the slowdown due to decay a little bit in order to remove the (highly unlikely) probability of numeric interactions with other factors. Otherwise I won't change decay. If you are afraid of corruptions you probably might not want to play chaos knights - balance was never too much a topic in ADOM as far as classes are concerned - rather being able to rise up to challenges ;-)

+ Reply