Disarmed in a shop: lost ownership and un-ID'd
issueid=1436 12-13-2012 07:30 PM
Number of reported issues by snowball_ii: 2
Disarmed in a shop: lost ownership and un-ID'd
I got disarmed in a shop and lost ownership of my artifact weapon. And the PC forgot its name.

I was inside of the HMV shop.
A ratling warlord standing on the door disarmed my weapon. Skullcrusher, to be precise. It flied inside the shop.
The shopkeeper said "Thank you!". When I walk over my weapon i says "uncursed rune-covered club (+12, 3d6+2) [-3, +0] {St+4} (unpaid. 36167gp)".
Ok, this may be intentional, even if I am really pissed off so I guess I'm gonna kill the shopkeeper to get my weapon back.
But why did the PC forget the name of the artifact? It was identified.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1436
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-13-2012 07:32 PM
Ancient Member
I think there's a length limit on the string names of weapons. Adding the price probably made the text too long so it cut the name out.

AFAIK, the disarming part has been around for awhile and is intentional.

12-13-2012 10:45 PM
I suggest that a shopkeeper who steals the character's property in this way, is a chaotic evildoer, and deserves to feel righteous justice upside his head. That is, I suggest that a character whose property is stolen like that, should be able to retrieve it lawfully, no alignment drop, no cursing, etc.

12-13-2012 11:15 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
That is, I suggest that a character whose property is stolen like that, should be able to retrieve it lawfully, no alignment drop, no cursing, etc.
Or you can not fight disarming monsters inside a shop :p

12-17-2012 01:58 PM
The Creator
The disarming part is intentional but there was a minor bug: Names were only shown for paid items, no matter whether they were identified or not.

Fixed.

12-18-2012 03:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Or you can not fight disarming monsters inside a shop :p
Since you included a smiley, I assume you know this already, but to clarify for anyone else reading this:

That is not a valid long term solution, because it places the blame on the victim.

Analogy: "I got robbed! The police should arrest the bad guy." "BAH, stop getting yourself robbed."

But I do agree that it's a fair short term solution (aka workaround), although, I might reword it as "put away your weapon before fighting a disarming monster inside a shop" since not fighting a hostile monster isn't necessarily an option. :P

+ Reply