[Suggestion] Make Greater Vaults more common, more varied
issueid=1495 12-19-2012 01:54 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Carter: 20
[Suggestion] Make Greater Vaults more common, more varied

Last couple of times i've been down to D50 i've plunged all the way down looking for greater vaults to take on.

unfortunately the way the algorithm works, it appears to be rags or riches. Seems like one NPC will get either 0 or 2-3.

for one, IMHO there should be at least one guaranteed greater vault in CoC. They are one of the best challenges the game has to offer.

secondly would be nice if there were more types of greater vaults. ie
- Greater chaos vault (chaos wizards etc)
- Greater Golem vault (eternium golems)
- Greater Demon vault (all the way to balors)
- Greater elf vault (would need to add some high level dark elven casters)
- Greater lawful vault (unicorns, ki-rins etc)

list goes on.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1495
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 18
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-19-2012 02:09 AM
Ancient Member
Greater vaults are just fun. I think we can afford to have one guaranteed one.

12-19-2012 02:19 AM
Ancient Member
I really like this idea (greater vaults are indeed a lot of fun).

I'd caution against certain new types though--for example, anything with with multiple chaos wizards. Chaos wizards are one of the most cantankerous, annoying creatures in all of ADOM. If you want to emphasize the fun/challenge aspect, it's better to leave out the really tedious monsters. On the other hand, something like a greater lawful vault is a great idea--that's pretty unique and rather exciting!

12-19-2012 02:33 AM
Perhaps a Greater Vault could be put on an extra level at the end of the reverse-levels section of the CoC. You know, where you jump down 5 levels or so, and then go up instead of down? At the end of that sequence, when you reach the level with only two down staircases, I'd add an up staircase that leads to a level with a guaranteed greater vault. I would restrict the possibilities in that greater vault, to make sure that its contents aren't overpowered. Think of it as a Greater equivalent of the vault on PC:6.

I'd then add another Greater Vault, guaranteed to be a real challenge, in some sort of "end game" location, a location that you can't even access until you reach a certain level, or complete some difficult task. Make it so that it's filled with one of the hardest types of beings to handle, and you've got a real challenge on your hands.

12-19-2012 05:18 PM
Ancient Member
I think there's been another suggestion similar to this one, but... add yet another vote for a guaranteed greater vault. Clearing one is, indeed, truly exciting. :D

01-04-2013 12:18 AM
I don't know about new greater vault types, but I am absolutely in favor of having at least one guaranteed random greater vault in the CoC. Currently the formula is 0-6, I believe. It'd be great if it was 1-6 so any game would have at least one. I'm always disappointed when I find out a game has no greater vaults.

01-04-2013 03:40 AM
Ancient Member
6? never seen more than 4. And that was a pretty awesome game since all 4 were fire vaults and i was a wizard with ice ball heh

01-04-2013 04:45 AM
I saw six once, with a hurtling archer.

01-04-2013 06:01 AM
Ancient Member
How about a mixed greater vault? Just cuz... Evil.

01-04-2013 03:45 PM
How about a mixed greater vault? Just cuz... Evil.

01-04-2013 07:51 PM
I don't know about this--I like greater vaults, but they have balance issues. Giant vaults are just a slog and a lootfest, not dangerous at all to characters that get down that far. Undead vaults are incredibly nasty for most characters--the only time I was able to clear one, I was playing a wizard and used monster detect + t. control to land in an empty square near the lich kings and emperor liches, and nuked them quickly. Dragon vaults are in between the two--easy with the right elemental spells, but more difficult than giants and there is equipment destruction to worry about.

In short, I think they can use revisiting--but the suggestion of a guaranteed GV doesn't guarantee a more fun game.

01-04-2013 10:57 PM
Agree that they're very very swingy at the moment. Greater giant vaults are stupidly easy, Greater undead vaults are stupidly hard. Might be a topic for a seperate RFE, but could perhaps g giant vaults have +++ experience giants and g undead vaults have ---experience undead...?

01-04-2013 11:32 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
I saw six once, with a hurtling archer.
That must have been awesome.

01-10-2013 11:12 AM
The Creator
ADOM now contains a guaranteed greater vault.If you want new vault types please file a spearate issue with suggestions for danger levels and monster combinations.

01-10-2013 11:18 AM
This is my favorite new feature so far in the entire resurrection.

01-10-2013 08:37 PM
Ancient Member
Excellent news!

+ Reply