Monsters Randomly Becoming Neutral, Lots of Prompting
issueid=1640 01-05-2013 05:03 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Monsters Randomly Becoming Neutral, Lots of Prompting

There's a very strange behaviour that's been introduced in pre7 (for missiles) and now for pre8 for melee attacks as well. Monsters will, occasionally, for no apparent reason, become neutral to the PC. Sometimes they'll wander away for maybe 1 turn or so, then come back and attack you again. This in itself isn't that much of a problem, except that it means the player is constantly bombarded with "Do you want to attack the -foo- prompts?" in the middle of battle. Worse, if the player does decide to attack the monster (who was just attacking them a moment before and will continue to do so a moment later), they'll take an alignment hit.

This is very unintuitive and annoying, IMHO.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1640
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 22
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-05-2013 06:02 AM
Just logged on to report this myself... very annoying.

01-05-2013 06:04 AM
The bug that is, not that you beat me to it. :)

01-05-2013 09:27 AM
Ancient Member
I reported this for Pre7, but TB added the melee now too. I wonder. Is this intentional. Because you are attacking a monster that is currently 'non-hostile'. I agree it is annoying.

Hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

01-05-2013 04:55 PM
Ancient Member
It does not seem fair to have a monster turn neutral (with alignment penalty to attack) just a few turns after attacking the player.
I'd rather they panic and run away.

01-05-2013 06:19 PM
Ancient Member
I'm guessing this is related to the recent changes to stealth. I don't mind stealth being better, but I think the way this is handled is a little extreme. In a recent game, I was fighting a DE wizard + spiders. I killed about 20 summoned spiders. Wizard steps next to me: "Are you sure you want to attack the Dark Elven Wizard?" So I either take an alignment hit, or let a spider swap him out of the way and face around round of summons. Ugh.

01-05-2013 10:27 PM
The quick-change of hostility would work better if it happened far less frequently. In build 8, it seems to happen every 10 turns. Also, a "The -foo- roars in anger!" or a "The -foo- seems to calm down." message would make a world of difference.

01-06-2013 01:27 AM
take out your trusty bow

aim at the creature in a way it's not a target, but is in line of fire

shoot.

kill. no aligment drop.

I know this is fixing a bug with another, but it lets you deal with the issue before it's fixed, so I hope I helped :3

01-06-2013 03:10 AM
Ancient Member
I thought that bug was fixed, plllizzz?

01-06-2013 12:08 PM
One possible solution would be, that once monster has become hostile it can only become neutral if some time is passed without it attacking PC or vice versa (If current swapping behavior is kept as it is, the limit should probably be somewhat large). That way monster couldn't just decide to turn neutral just to regenerate some wounds between hits.

Other possibility is that if monsters could actually offer peace same as PC can (and the player could either accept or reject the offer), with same consequences as when PC does the same. The frequency of the offers should still be lower than current rate monsters become neutral.

01-06-2013 01:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
I thought that bug was fixed, plllizzz?
didn't seem so while I was playing, at least Law didn't give me any prompts of doing chaotic stuff

01-06-2013 06:51 PM
Ancient Member
This should be fixed with highest priority.

01-06-2013 08:04 PM
Another big problem with this bug is when monsters turn peaceful just before you pick their pockets. This can be especially annoying early on in the game when it can be a big alignment hit without any confirmation prompt.

01-08-2013 03:20 AM
This bug is starting to really get on my nerves. I can swap places with neutral monsters (that are almost always supposed to be hostile, like orcs and goblins) just to have them make a successful hit the next turn. They literally go from disinterested to hostile-and-attacking in one turn! Very frustrating, because I just want to SPILL THEIR BLOOD. When your hero is low on life you can't take chances like that! It also doesn't help that screwing the rules and attacking them causes a massive alignment hit :/

01-08-2013 07:23 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, it's annoying. Monsters doubting whether they want to attack you or not is fine (it sort of happened with cats already), but the prompting and the alignment hits should go.

If a monster has just attacked me last turn, or is on the verge of wanting to attack me, hitting him should be considered default action and have no penalties.

01-08-2013 07:38 AM
The biggest problem with this is the nasty monsters such as summoners, claw bugs, vortices etc you have to give them the first shot or your alignment drops, summoners especially when they turn neutral after summoning and "canīt" be killed and then summon some more..

01-08-2013 01:53 PM
I think it might be intentional that the monster now randomly change their attitude towards the PC.
But this has a major negative impact on gameplay and I suggest TB to reconsider it.
The fact that apparently every monster will become hostile after some time has the consequence of me hitting 5 till I get attacked, then kill it. IMHO this erratic behavior should not substitute the old one. If not all, some monster that start out friendly should stay friendly.
I envision 4 behavioral patterns:
- always hostile
- always neutral/friendly
- starting out hostile (but potentially friendly)
- starting out neutral/friendly (but potentially hostile)

01-09-2013 09:25 AM
The Creator
It's a legacy code problem. I had unified the code for when monsters are considered hostile or not and there is an internal complication that I missed. Should be fixed now, at least I so far have not experienced the problem in any of my test games... sorry for missing this one.

01-09-2013 06:26 PM
Another work around(bug also I assume) to avoid the alignment hit is to kick the monster until they attack you. This seems to work in most cases but sometimes you will still get the "are you sure?" prompt.

+ Reply