writing scrolls of chaos resistance is misinterpreted
issueid=1761 01-15-2013 02:03 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
writing scrolls of chaos resistance is misinterpreted

If you attempt to write a scroll of chaos resistance with a magical writing set, the game misinterprets this and thinks you want to write a scroll of balance instead.

edit: doh.. the reason is of course that the name has been changed to corruption removal! Still, it would be nice if asking to write a scroll of "chaos resistance" would result in an attempt to write a scroll of corruption removal, not balance. The same goes for wishes.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1761
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 8
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2013 02:23 PM
Sounds like the bug is that the game interprets whatever you've written and immediately acts on its interpretation, right or wrong. There probably ought to be at least a confirmation dialogue.

(Presumably the same logic would not apply to wishes, due to the role-played nature of their invocation.)

01-15-2013 02:34 PM
Ancient Member
A confirmation dialog would be too cumbersome IMHO. But I agree that "scrolls of chaos resistance" should be made an alias of "scrolls of corruption removal" for writing sets and wishes, or it will cause veteran players to make lots of mistakes.

01-15-2013 02:41 PM
I believe it already does so for wishes.

01-15-2013 08:40 PM
Ancient Member
Renaming SoCRs was a bad change, in my opinion. Old name wasn't descriptive enough? No one ever had any problem with wands of wonder not being called "wands of cast a random spell"...

01-15-2013 08:49 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think the name change is a problem--it made a lot of sense. It just needs to be aliased to the old name.

01-10-2014 04:08 PM
Ancient Member
So, this bug keeps popping up - I myself was burned in p17, one of the newer p20 YAVP was also burned, etc. I'd really like to see this fixed soon because it's seems like it should be fairly easy and it's affecting quite a few people.

01-10-2014 04:19 PM
Ancient Member
I think that whenever you try to write a scroll that you have not identified the game should actually just tell you so. I mean how do you know what is written on a scroll you have never seen?

01-10-2014 04:31 PM
scroll of corruption removal
scroll of corruption resistance
scroll of chaos resistance
scroll of chaos removal

renaming was a bad idea, imho:(

01-10-2014 04:31 PM
Ancient Member
This also applies to wishes, btw, which is even more annoying (and I'll reiterate that I like the name change because it makes it more obvious what they do. There HAS to be an alias however).

01-10-2014 04:46 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
and I'll reiterate that I like the name change because it makes it more obvious what they do.
I see no reason items have to be named exactly after their function. Otherwise, it's time to rename potions of uselessness, wands of knocking, potions of wonder, rings of ice, amulets of free action and many other things, because those names aren't as descriptive as they could be.

Anyway, that's outside the scope of this RFE. I do agree with that if the new name is staying, an alias for wishing and writing scrolls would be very good.

01-10-2014 09:31 PM
Ancient Member
The problem is that the old name of those scrolls was named after a function that they don't do - they don't provide resistance to chaos or to corruption.

Names like potions of wonder or wand of knocking are cryptic, but not misleading. Scrolls of chaos resistance were misleading.

Of course, I agree there should be an alias so that we old school players don't lose our wishes due to oversights!

01-26-2014 10:05 AM
The Creator
All suggested synonyms have been added, both for wishing and for using writing sets. For items now a generic infrastructure exists. As this is somewhat annoying to add to other cases as well I'd like to refrain from doing so much more ;-)

04-18-2014 05:22 PM
Ancient Member
In IVAN you can use abbreviations when wishing ("socm" instead of "scroll of change material", "aols", etc.), I think such a feature could be added to ADOM too.

+ Reply