build in an online chat while playing
issueid=2190 06-22-2013 04:05 PM
Number of reported issues by gosos: 21
build in an online chat while playing

I posted about mod support before and the response was that it isn't practical to do that with the old code base. I don't know how hard this is.

There is another popular roguelike called TOME. I think its best feature is a built in IRC chat while you play solo. ADOM has a large community and it is a hard game to get into. Is it possible to plug an IRC client into the game similar to how TOME does it so people can talk to each other? Ask questions and such. I think the chat in TOME is a very nice feature.

I am new to this community so I don't know the whole history of enhancement requests. If this was discussed already or if its too hard, I apologize for bringing it up. I think a chat might significantly increase the player base.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2190
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-22-2013 04:59 PM
We do have an IRC chat: irc.freenode.net #adom, but it's not built in to the game.

06-23-2013 02:06 PM
building it directly into the game will get more people on. I don't know how hard it is to take an off the shelf IIRC and add it to the game. It is a very popular element of TOME. Try that game out. The chat makes it a lot more fun. That game is easier than ADOM though... so many people here may not like it.

Thomas and Admins, if you guys have time, go check out TOME. You have probably played it. The chat really adds a lot. (The single playable TOME. Not TomeNet).

I don't know how hard it is to add this. I think plugging this into the client could really increase the player base.

06-23-2013 05:54 PM
Ancient Member
I think ADOM should be ADOM, and an IRC client should be an IRC client. Time spent adding this would be less time for fixing other issues. A mention of the #adom channel somewhere in the splash screen, menu or manual certainly wouldn't be bad, however.

06-23-2013 06:12 PM
Ancient Member
This is by far not a bug.

It is an extremely bad idea actually. It would invite unsolicited help. Now don't recommend that it can be switched-off. People will be tempted if it's just a key press away.

You are suggesting a build-in walkthrough.

06-23-2013 07:53 PM
Administrator
Made this a feature request. Personally I don't see the benefit of having an IRC client built into the game. You can always start your favorite IRC client in the background and switch to/from it whenever you want.

06-24-2013 02:11 PM
Ancient Member
If ADOM is going to try to appeal to casual players, those mostly don't know how to install an IRC client. They don't even know what IRC is. And they don't want to read documentation to know.

I also have seen this work in ToME and I think it's a nice feature to have, as long as it can be turned off.

However, I see it as very low priority, I'd also prefer the precious development time to be spent in other issues.

+ Reply