Fatal crash on D50
issueid=2329 09-03-2013 03:14 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99
Fatal crash on D50
Game froze on [more] prompt

See attached screenshot. D50 was mostly cleared, I was just picking up arrows of demon slaying when the game froze and accepted no more input. The mouse still causes the command menu on the bottom of the screen to scroll, and the noteye commands through Ctrl-M still work, but no commands related to the game itself work anymore.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2329
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 16
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-03-2013 06:26 PM
Administrator
I guess the full message on the screen was "[Press SPACE to continue]"? This is odd because all pick commands don't create this message (I think).

Was some other message printed before that? Any additional information may help.

Which pick command did you use? Was an adom.err file created? Do you still have the save game (I guess not)?

09-04-2013 08:22 PM
Sorry I can't offer much more info than that. I did check the ADOM application directories for error or log files, but there was nothing there. I had to force-quit with task manager. The save file was gone too of course.

In the game, I was pcking up blessed arrows of demon slaying one by one from the floor after slaying a Balor and presumably adding them automatically to my quiver. So I would have been doing comma-space-right arrow, comma-space-right arrow. I was striking the keys fast, so maybe I double-spaced or entered them in the wrong order. I had already cleared out most of the monsters on the level.

Finally, I don't know if this is really a new issue--I've experienced fatal crashes before on D50 or other very crowded levels in v1.1 It's rare, but it does happen.

Too bad, I was looking forward to casting Wish for the first time with that character after saving the world. :-)

09-05-2013 05:49 PM
Administrator
I might have found something, there are only three places in ADOM where the text "continue]" is used. The first place is when ADOM is waiting for the space key, this seem irrelevant here. But the other two places print messages like "[Press '@' to continue]". So, maybe because the message was not completely visible, you did not try the '@' key.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, just in case. :)

09-06-2013 04:18 PM
That is probably what happened--I guess it didn't crash after all. Dang it!

Thanks for looking into it, and I'm glad it's not a bug.

Ben

09-06-2013 05:57 PM
Administrator
I'm very sorry... :(

It's still a bug that the message wasn't completely visible (the code responsible for it did not change since 1.1.1). I'll try to reproduce and fix this.

09-08-2013 02:40 PM
Administrator
I could reproduce the problem. Sometimes if the message buffer wasn't completely empty, the important part of the message (i.e. the usage of "@" instead of the space key) wasn't visible. This is now fixed.

+ Reply