No way to abort character creation
issueid=2536 12-08-2013 04:15 PM
Number of reported issues by Mason Wheeler: 2
No way to abort character creation
There should be some way to cancel the character creation process and return to the main menu

If the player accidentally hits the wrong button and begins the character creation process when he meant to restore a saved game, there is no way to back out of this and return to the main menu. There probably should be one. :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 2536
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 20
Fixed Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-08-2013 05:59 PM
Ancient Member
An option to backtrack would probably also be a good idea. But once you are in the talents selection screen, there should not be any backtrack possible. I don't know whether people would scum for character background, but I don't know what to suggest in that regard. To make starsign re-rolling not too easy, once a starsign has been selected that starsign should remain until the next new character dies, wins, is quit or saved.

12-08-2013 06:16 PM
Actually, I disagree. If a player wants a particular starsign bad enough, they're just going to keep re-rolling characters until they get it anyway--with nothing to lose because it's at the start of the game and they have nothing invested in the character--so why enforce making it frustrating? I've never really understood why there's no option to choose a starsign, just the same as race and class. But that's not the reason I posted this bug report anyway. :P

12-08-2013 06:45 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Mason Wheeler
Actually, I disagree. If a player wants a particular starsign bad enough, they're just going to keep re-rolling characters until they get it anyway--with nothing to lose because it's at the start of the game and they have nothing invested in the character--so why enforce making it frustrating? I've never really understood why there's no option to choose a starsign, just the same as race and class. But that's not the reason I posted this bug report anyway. :P
Maybe a RFE for starsign selection is the right way to go then. Then we can discuss pros and cons and vote in the end.

12-08-2013 06:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Maybe a RFE for starsign selection is the right way to go then.
Again, that's not the reason I posted this bug report. It's not a stealth way to ask for easier starsign scumming; it's asking for a way to abort character creation because you hit the wrong button. The lack of an option to do this is inconsistent, seeing as how the Restore screen has an abort command, and all the other things you can do from the main menu have a way to immediately get back to the main menu, which is why I posted this as a bug and not an RFE.

12-08-2013 07:00 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Mason Wheeler
Again, that's not the reason I posted this bug report. It's not a stealth way to ask for easier starsign scumming; it's asking for a way to abort character creation because you hit the wrong button. The lack of an option to do this is inconsistent, seeing as how the Restore screen has an abort command, and all the other things you can do from the main menu have a way to immediately get back to the main menu, which is why I posted this as a bug and not an RFE.
I'm not contesting that.

12-08-2013 07:40 PM
Ancient Member
This has always annoyed me, would like an option to return to the main menu.

12-08-2013 08:01 PM
TB has stated in the past that a starsign selector will only be present in Adom Deluxe when it comes out.

12-08-2013 08:07 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Maybe a RFE for starsign selection is the right way to go then. Then we can discuss pros and cons and vote in the end.
Being the big fan of jaakkos' starsign selector that I am, I've already suggested that in the past. TB's response was that it's a feature he wishes to keep for ADOM Deluxe.

Edit: too late :)

12-08-2013 08:19 PM
Ancient Member
I don't see why not though, if the player is going to anyway roll and quit or use starsign/stat/item/corruption rollers, why not make it easy on him/her? Make him/her select starsign, stats, items and corruptions.

12-26-2015 04:37 PM
The Creator
We are going to rewrite character generation completely pretty soon.

01-06-2016 08:51 PM
The Creator
Star sign selection is part of ADOM Deluxe now. And the revised character generation process starting being available in R65 has extensive abort, undo and whatever functionalities. And so much more.

+ Reply