Shorten controlled TP message
issueid=2556 12-15-2013 09:30 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Shorten controlled TP message

After the Sage functionality was introduced to ADOM, " Use [<] and [>] to move to the next up/down stairs." message was also added. While the message itself is ok, it leads to bad things.

Namely, when you cast TP, the whole line "You teleport. Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done. Use [<] and [>] to move to the next up/down stairs. Press [Z] to abort." no longer fits one screen and causes a "(more)" prompt. This is very annoying when chain-teleporting. Can we do something to about it?
Issue Details
Issue Number 2556
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-16-2013 12:30 AM
Ancient Member
I agree on that the additional text is annoying, I had to block it via adom.msg. But I can't think of a message that would be short enough while still mentioning this feature.

12-16-2013 04:01 AM
Ancient Member
Even on a non-chain-teleporting class, this has actually caused me to miss multiple teleports (with fast_more) because I've hit > then space rapidly. Definitely should be fixed.

12-17-2013 10:58 AM
At least add a config option to suppress the extended part of the message.

12-17-2013 12:46 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I agree on that the additional text is annoying, I had to block it via adom.msg. But I can't think of a message that would be short enough while still mentioning this feature.
"You teleport. Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE]. Use [<] and [>] to jump to the up/down stairs. Press [Z] to abort."

Is a bit shorter, although I don't know if it's short enough.

12-17-2013 06:00 PM
Administrator
The current message is similar to the one used by Sage. Sorry that this message got too long. I'm sure that I checked it, but maybe a typo was fixed later without checking it again.

I think the current message is only a few characters too long, so shortening it should be no problem.

12-17-2013 07:02 PM
Administrator
Message shortened.

12-18-2013 12:44 AM
Ancient Member
Out of curiosity, what's the new one?

12-18-2013 07:49 AM
Administrator
I used Al-Khwarizmis proposal and exchanged "jump" with "move". But I will ask Thomas too if he likes it that way.

12-20-2013 12:09 PM
Ancient Member
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for posting this here, but it's something pretty small I didn't want to create a full-fledged RFE for (though I'll do it if necessary), and it's somewhat related to this one: I was thinking the "Use '<' and '>' to..." message should not be displayed in levels that don't have staircases at all.

12-20-2013 12:30 PM
Ancient Member
Every level where teleportation is allowed, has at least one stair case, except chaos plane.

12-20-2013 12:39 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Every level where teleportation is allowed, has at least one stair case, except chaos plane.
Wilderness locations also don't have staircases, this includes the two wilderness towns, Barbarian glade, etc.

12-20-2013 02:51 PM
Ancient Member
You're right of course, I didn't consider wilderness since encounters there are normally so occasional and I just get to the edge of the map and leave. As for the towns I suppose I never had any reasons to teleport around there so I didn't include those either.

The areas where I mostly teleport always have some staircase so I guess the prompt feels fine.

+ Reply