The game crashes if a beggar you've given gold to tells you a rumor when 'C'hatted with
issueid=2899 04-27-2014 05:28 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
The game crashes if a beggar you've given gold to tells you a rumor when 'C'hatted with
Talking to a beggar you've given money to apparently sends the game into an infinite loop if he tells you a fortune cookie message instead of giving you booze.

Problem
Giving enough gold to a beggar to make them hail at you, then 'C'hatting with them, will freeze the game if they attempt to give you a fortune cookie message instead of dropping a potion of booze.

How to reproduce it
Give ~40gp to a beggar, then try to 'C'hat with them. If they decide to tell you a rumor, the game will freeze after the "Heed the following, my friend" message.

Notes
No error message or .err file was created, but I have the leftover tmpdat from that game if that's of any help.

Talking to beggars without having given them gold, and getting booze from them both work fine.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2899
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-27-2014 05:46 PM
Ancient Member
I just encountered this again after giving money to a beggar, so hunger may not be the key factor.

04-27-2014 07:53 PM
Administrator
Can you describe the circumstances a little more? E.g. which class/race you were playing, etc. Thanks! :)

Was the food poisoned?

04-27-2014 08:29 PM
Ancient Member
Race and class was dark elf wizard, location Lawenilothehl.

I have tested this a little more and it seems hunger is not the factor (I didn't get to give the beggar in the first game any food, as it froze immediately after talking). Apparently the game freezes if you give gold to a beggar, then 'C'hat with them and get a fortune cookie message. If you're lucky enough to get a potion of booze instead, the bug doesn't trigger. The first post is updated with this information.

04-27-2014 08:39 PM
The Creator
The fortune cookie hint pointed to the problem. Damn. This is caused by the fix to http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1779

I have fixed it (yet again).

05-11-2014 07:57 AM
This can also happen with the Dwarftown Innkeeper. Is this covered in the fix too?

05-11-2014 09:16 AM
Administrator
Yes, they all use the same function, so it should be fixed in all cases for Pre23.

05-14-2014 09:41 AM
The problem has not been solved. Yesterday I had this again. Lost a character chatting to begger. The behaviour of the game was a little bit different though. Instead of freezing in windows it simply autoreset itself immediately to main menu without making a save.

This was prerelease 23. I was in the Wilderness talking to beggar - not in outlaw village. Before it happened I talked to beggards probably 100-200 times without the error happening and then upon one time it simply crashed.

+ Reply