Reduce range of possible mana drain from writing scrolls
issueid=2947 05-08-2014 05:48 PM
Number of reported issues by shockeroo: 50
Reduce range of possible mana drain from writing scrolls
Currently you can get manadrained for at least 18 points for using cursed paper. This seems too much.

Writing a scroll of defense with my L49, literacy 100 gnomish bard using a blessed writing set and a cursed blank scroll lowered my mana stat from 19 to 1. That's a BIG drain! Apparenly writing on cursed paper is a really bad idea, but it made sense to me at the time, since I wanted a cursed scroll.

I think that the mana drain from writing most scrolls should be capped at 4-5 or so, maybe 10 for SoCR. That's still a really hefty cost!
Issue Details
Issue Number 2947
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-08-2014 05:51 PM
Also, an interesting side-effect of this huge mana drain was that I was able to write lots MORE scrolls. Having already destroyed my mana stat there was no reason to hold back any more, so I wrote 4 scrolls of chaos resistance (or whatever they're called now), and some more scrolls of defense and protection, without having to worry about stat drain. This feels like a really strange situation to be in.

05-08-2014 07:24 PM
The Creator
What type of scroll did you try to write?

(BTW, writing on cursed scrolls does not have that much of an effect)

05-08-2014 11:16 PM
It was a scroll of defense.

05-09-2014 08:56 PM
The Creator
Actually something else must have happened. I just checked the formula and also tested this myself and the maximum Mana you can lose from writing a scroll of defense are 7 points (for your mentioned configuration). Which is exactly what I lost.

Losses are very different when using cursed writing sets (that's the dominating factor, uncured also is worse, only blessed is ok).

05-09-2014 09:03 PM
The Creator
Nonetheless I have adjusted this somewhat.

05-09-2014 09:17 PM
That's odd, I was really sure that my mana stat was 19 before writing that scroll. I reloaded my last backup from the game, but it's after I wrote the scroll, so I'm at a dead end. I'm sure all my writing sets were blessed too.

In any case, thanks for looking into it, and I'm sorry if I was mistaken.

05-09-2014 09:21 PM
Actually checking my inventory I do have one writing set which was uncursed as well as the blessed ones, possibly I used that in error?

+ Reply