[BUG] Inconsistencies in messeges about shopkeepers.
issueid=3080 06-17-2014 11:27 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[BUG] Inconsistencies in messeges about shopkeepers.

After getting to HMV for the first time and trying to sell all the loot from two vaults in UD, I have exhausted all the money that Leggot had.
The result was this somewhat funny chain of messages:

Leggot mumbles: "Sorry, but I ain't got the money to pay you." You see Leggot
happily ringing the cash box bell.
Leggot mumbles: "Sorry, but I ain't got the money to pay you." You see Leggot
counting money.

How can he count the money if he doesn't have any? What's the ringing of the cash box for when it's empty?

I guess either increase available gold that shopkeepers initially have, to allow the players to sell all they have for sale or completely suppress the above messages while the shopkeeper is out of cash.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3080
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM r48
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-18-2014 11:59 AM
What other flavour text is there? Probably need something new and non-money related. Though, I suppose he can ring his cash box bell even if the box itself is empty. He can't count money he doesn't have though, you're right.

06-18-2014 12:37 PM
It's not necessarily inconsistent, maybe he's counting the money needed to buy food for his family. Proper business practices dictate that your personal expenses shouldn't interfere with your company's finances. IRL most small shopkeepers have separate accounts for their business and personal finance. Leggot doesn't say that he doesn't have any money, he says that his shop is teetering on the brink of insolvency.

Not voting against, though, changing the message would probably be for the best.

06-18-2014 12:52 PM
Ancient Member
Well if we go in this direction then let's have it.
I spent 2 years in-game time sitting in front of the store, munching stomafillia and observing.
Leggot doesn't move from his store, doesn't have any visitors and doesn't buy any food from ratlings in HMV.
So yeah, he doesn't need a private cash box because he doesn't have any expenses ;)
Once he's out of cash, he shouldn't be seen counting money because he literally doesn't have money left.

06-19-2014 02:50 AM
Ancient Member
Perhaps if the shopkeeper has little or no money, those messages could be replacing by encouraging you to look around or suggesting a particular item that's on sale?

06-19-2014 03:00 AM
Ancient Member
ADOM is known for its depth and clever responses - this is a case where it'd be nice to have one implemented :)

06-19-2014 09:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I spent 2 years in-game time sitting in front of the store, munching stomafillia and observing.
I just wanted to say that this is the kind of thing that makes Adom community great. Dedication. :D

06-26-2014 08:22 PM
The Creator
I fixed the money counting message. The ringing will stay as I always imagined shopkeepers occasionally toying around with the cash bell with a happy but someone stupid grin on their face ;-)

+ Reply