[BUG] Scrolls of monster aggravation make Air and Mana temples trivial
issueid=3090 06-28-2014 06:29 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[BUG] Scrolls of monster aggravation make Air and Mana temples trivial

As in the topic, the two nastiest elemental temples can be done without breaking a sweat by reading a scroll of monster aggravation, just after descending to either temple level.
Both Yulgash and Nuurag Varn teleport around the level freely and can be lured out of the their respective spots and dispatched easily in the very first room the PC descends to.
They can be killed without having to risk item destruction from lightning or traps and all the PP drainers, corrupting vapor rats, elementals, annihilators, chaos wizards and their summons etc. can be ignored.
I don't think that there was so much thought put into designing the layout to just let players circumvent it.

However, scrolls of monster aggravation are otherwise useless so I'm at a loss as to the validity of this bug. Maybe this is actually their sole purpose?
It still feels wrong to do the temples that way, I assume that the same could work in earth temple, but having *all* the wall-ignoring monsters attacking the player might not be such a good idea.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3090
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 2
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

07-08-2014 10:13 AM
Ancient Member
In a recent burst of activity, can I bump this one? I've picked up this trick and IMHO it's not priority 6, but much closer to 1. Currently it makes both temples a complete joke. Yulgash doesn't even summon out of temple because he has a clear path to the PC and closes in on a melee attack.
If anything, we should at least restrict teleportation for bosses to the area within their temples.

07-08-2014 11:03 AM
Ancient Member
I've changed the priority, it is indeed a semi-game breaking trick.

07-08-2014 02:33 PM
Ancient Member
At least it makes these scrolls good for something, other than getting turned into blank ones.

I wouldn't have thought of using them like this in a million years if I hadn't read this bug report.

07-08-2014 02:37 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, ADoM is known for things that apparently nobody in a thousand years would have ever figured out ;)
The problem with obscure tricks like this, is they inevitably become common knowledge and if they're good enough (as in: give a huge advantage) they will turn into common practice too.

07-08-2014 03:07 PM
Ancient Member
It may be better to just remove the teleportation from these bosses again. It's kind of a neat idea that they can do it, but the AI isn't smart enough to use teleportation effectively, so it just ends up being a big advantage that the player can use to get the bosses out of the temples more easily.

07-08-2014 04:44 PM
Do loose floor board traps have the same affect?

Lately there have been quite a few posts mentioning encounters with those two outside of their temples, normally leading to easy victory for a more prepared PC.

07-09-2014 05:42 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
It may be better to just remove the teleportation from these bosses again.
I would also support this for thematic reasons. Being in a no-teleport area meant no one could teleport, friend or foe, and that made sense.

07-09-2014 03:34 PM
Could it be set so that these bosses only teleport away when panicking? I agree that it does trivialize the boss battles when you can just easily separate them from their cohorts (though I love that it does give Scrolls of Monster Aggravation an actual use... I'm undecided which option I side with most).

...Actually, assuming the current behavior remains, what if these teleporting orb guardians have a one-time summoning ability that only activates after teleportation for the first time? For example, after Nuurag-Vaarn teleports to you (after the scroll is used) he summons a bunch of his chaotic cohorts (a handful of chaos mages, a few annihilators, and a few magedoom eyes?). And for Yulgash he could summon, well, whatever the hell he wants really. That way, using the scroll doesn't completely trivialize the battle, but it certainly does make things easier than a direct raid.

If that was implemented, then I'd be all for keeping current teleporting behavior the same.

07-09-2014 09:55 PM
The Creator
I have removed the teleportation power again and made it more difficult to use these scrolls against very special uniques in the elemental temples.

+ Reply