Implement Ancardia servers "autosave every 1000 turns" feature
issueid=3147 07-15-2014 07:53 AM
Number of reported issues by asdf: 54
Implement Ancardia servers "autosave every 1000 turns" feature

Currently testing crash-prone prereleases like p20 or r48 is really annoying - you cant really know what will crash your game, and you need to manually save and exit for backups quite frequently.

Ancardia servers solve this problem by implementing auto-save feature - every 1000 turns game saves into the backup folder. 1000 turns between autosaves should be configurable variable, perhaps between 100 and 5000. Also every time when you press "S" - backup is created too with message - "Backup .svg created! Do you really want to save? [y/N]", making backups as easy as one click. Game searches for backups presented without saves on startup - assuming that if you forced to close ADOM, there wont be savegame, but there will be backup - and you are asked if you want to restore it automatically.

This autosaves makes testing of prereleases on server a lot more convenient that on local PC, and implementing same feature into main ADOM would speed up testing process quite a bit. If there is R49 already "around the corner" - there will be a lot of early game fixes, but noone would complete whole game because of crashes and old backups/no backups making him not want to play this character more. If there will be late-game bugs - R50 would be "around the corner" again, and such frequent releases are not exactly good in my opinion.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3147
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM r49
Implemented Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

07-15-2014 01:43 PM
I would support the fixed turn rate saving instead of the "S" function suggested.

Nonetheless, this would be very much useful, in particular with the prereleases.

07-15-2014 03:42 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
I would support the fixed turn rate saving instead of the "S" function suggested.

Nonetheless, this would be very much useful, in particular with the prereleases.
You didnt use it enough then. Found an ordinary ring of djinni summoning? "S". Cleared the Water Temple? "S". Seeing "&" and not sure if you wont crash on it? "S". Its basically a quicksave button which very conveniently makes sure that you wont lose anything important to you due to program bugs.

07-15-2014 09:27 PM
Ancient Member
Of course the options are not mutually exclusive. I prefer to have both, but in case only one of them is implemented I'd like to have autosave every x turns.

07-18-2014 01:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by asdf
You didnt use it enough then. Found an ordinary ring of djinni summoning? "S". Cleared the Water Temple? "S". Seeing "&" and not sure if you wont crash on it? "S". Its basically a quicksave button which very conveniently makes sure that you wont lose anything important to you due to program bugs.
No, that's exactly what I mean. You always do a backup after a good event, not after losing half your stuff and one eye to an exploding rune. Which skews the odds in your favour. If it were practically random from gameplay perspective, it would be more balanced. Also, automated.

07-18-2014 02:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
No, that's exactly what I mean. You always do a backup after a good event, not after losing half your stuff and one eye to an exploding rune. Which skews the odds in your favour. If it were practically random from gameplay perspective, it would be more balanced. Also, automated.
If you need to use a backup in first place, i'd say that you better use a backup after a good event.

07-18-2014 04:50 PM
Ancient Member
Being able to use a backup after a good event also allows you to pick it to test certain things.
"Got a ring of Djinni Summoning"? Perfect - can make sure wishing doesn't crash
"See a statue"? Perfect - can test that status

12-26-2015 05:54 PM
The Creator
By now this has been implemented for a while but we forgot to close the RFE :-)

+ Reply