walking on spot slower than previous versions
issueid=3148 07-15-2014 02:42 PM
Number of reported issues by Harkila: 154
walking on spot slower than previous versions
Adom has slowed down

There's again some added slowness to be noted in the new version of Adom. I have the base_delay_factor variable set to 1 (tried with 0 also, no change), and with that, the earlier versions moved with an almost instantaneous speed when using the w[direction] command. Now the regular 20 turns passing takes a second or more each time time. While it might seem like a non-issue, it makes it quite tedious to wait for monsters to walk to altars, waiting for herbs to grow, firing missiles, or just resting up. Is the new version a much worse resource hog than the previous version? :-)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3148
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r48
Fixed Version ADOM r49
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

07-15-2014 09:17 PM
I've noticed similar performance issues with r48 compared to pr23 with the 'w' command, as well as the music sometimes stopping for about half a second at some points. I tried getting NotEye to use 'the old renderer' [SDL 1.2?] and increasing max allowable CPU usage, but haven't noticed much improvement.

07-16-2014 06:54 AM
Administrator
No, this version is much faster then Pre23. The reason for the delay is that we added a "refresh" in walk mode so that you can track the PCs movement in the auto-search modes ("w>", "wi" and so on).

We can easily remove this refresh in case the PC "walks on the spot".

07-16-2014 03:58 PM
Ah, okay, it's just a problem with 'w' then.
I tried running r48 on another computer and everything else does seem to run fine, so the other performance issues I had must be to do with my laptop instead... oh well, it's good news for everyone else that it's not the game that has become slower =\

07-16-2014 09:04 PM
Administrator
Just to clarify: the new "w"alk modes, like "wi" or "w>" need a lot of CPU power, so they are probably quite slow on lower end hardware. We added the "screen refresh" so that the player can follow the character more easily. If we didn't, the player might be quite disoriented because the character can end on the other side of the map using these commands.

I have disabled the "screen refresh" for "w." (walk on spot) and "ws" (walk search) so they should be as fast as before.

We probably should add this as a configuration option.

07-18-2014 12:40 PM
Config option, yes please!

I do see the point in why it was implemented, but I'm sure I'm not the only oldschool ADOMer who has a quite fine-tuned way of moving around quickly already. :)

+ Reply