Add game options menu
issueid=3167 07-18-2014 09:55 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Add game options menu

Customization of game settings, e.g.
  • turn off hunger
  • turn off corruption
  • monster difficulty level (low, standard, high)
  • treasure rate (low, standard, high)
  • RPG mode (saving allowed, but moves score to separate high score)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3167
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM r51
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-18-2014 08:13 PM
The Creator
I've done an initial checkin. The menu is there but doesn't have any functionality yet.

08-19-2014 08:20 AM
All these options should have an XP multiplier:
- Do you wish that these options affect the experience points you gain during your adventures?
If yes:
- turn off hunger: %less XP gained from monster kills and completing missions
- monster difficulty level: high %more XP gained from monster kills

08-19-2014 09:56 PM
I'm not sure why any XP multiplier is required. Maybe a severe addend or multiplier to the final score for some, and/or separate high-score tables for others.

If changing any of these changes XP, then that's making a further change to difficulty other than what the player expects to change. So when they try to step-up to a higher difficulty they will find the game changes in other ways too. ..can you say why you'd want an XP change @mercy? I might be missing something here, but I just see it unnecessarily complicating things.

08-20-2014 08:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by tkoyah
I'm not sure why any XP multiplier is required. Maybe a severe addend or multiplier to the final score for some, and/or separate high-score tables for others.

If changing any of these changes XP, then that's making a further change to difficulty other than what the player expects to change. So when they try to step-up to a higher difficulty they will find the game changes in other ways too. ..can you say why you'd want an XP change @mercy? I might be missing something here, but I just see it unnecessarily complicating things.
On Hard difficulty - one notch above current difficulty? - if players decide to take the risks, should be rewarded for their bravery. It doesn't matter how big the XP multiplier is, it could be *1.01.
Depends on balancing though.

Maybe more applicable for games, where XP is scarce and the player needs to solve every mission to advance and kill every monster. But in ADOM there is spawning so monster numbers don't seem to be that critical.

Hard difficulty shouldn't punish beyond reason, just to make monsters stronger, traps more deadly, swimming more draining etc.. Players must have some reward too if they choose to adventure in more dangerous lands.

Think of my plea like this: If a mercenary is told the next mission will have extra danger factors and he is less likely to come home in one piece then the mercenary will ask for more compensation.

Players should righteously feel more powerful by selecting to adventure in a more dangerous world, where only hardened veterans remain alive.

08-20-2014 10:47 PM
Okay, I see your point there. ..I was just thinking that the harder monsters is an option there for veteran players who want the game to be more of a challenge. If they want harder monsters they choose that option, and they just get harder monsters. If they want any XP it'll be more of a challenge to get it.

I guess The Creator can decide how best to balance this. He's probably got his own ideas of how he wants to do this. :)

08-23-2014 07:39 PM
The Creator
I finished the implementation.

03-12-2015 09:06 PM
Ancient Member
Can you unlock achievements with these 'cheats' turned on?

03-12-2015 09:55 PM
Nope.

+ Reply