Mouse control suggestions
issueid=3203 07-19-2014 11:30 AM
Number of reported issues by sylph: 26
Mouse control suggestions
Just a few suggestions to make mouse control more fluid.

Here are my suggestions to make mouse control more fluid (thinking of accessibility here, I remember doomrl getting mouse control down so well, even the ancient/expert players started using it!):

left-clicking a door adjacent to the player should attempt to open it
right-clicking a door adjacent to the player should kick it
clicking on the stairs while standing on them should exit the current level
clicking on an tile should move (1 turn) towards that tile, even if there is a hostile monster nearby
right-clicking on a monster should launch a missile attack at that monster
mouse wheel up and down should scroll menus up and down (this used to work before R48)

(Extra bonus: this is just a nice to have, worth a mention, and not really part of this suggestion for serious discussion unless TB likes the idea:
right-clicking on the player should open a radial gesture menu with spells, inventory, class abilities, special abilities, food eating, skills etc.
Example of a good radial menu in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...XIm422DtA#t=52
Issue Details
Issue Number 3203
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-20-2014 05:52 AM
I like those mouse-control suggestions. ..I do tend to use unlocking and locking on doors a lot too. Maybe those could be used with the middle mouse button?

heh.. That video has me really curious to check out Silver now. :)

07-05-2017 01:27 PM
The Creator
Left-clicking an adjacent door now will automatically open it (unless it is a known trapped door).

07-05-2017 04:14 PM
The Creator
Left-cklicking on a tile will
(a) attack the monster there (if it is adjacent), otherwise move to attack
(b) move to the tile
If the tile is your current position and you left-click, ADOM will either directly execute one of the following commands: pick up items (if there are items), ascend stairs/descend stairs/enter location (if possible), eat (if food on the ground), drink (if something drinkable is on the ground) or handle something (if anything can be handled). If two or more of these commands would be possible ADOM will open a context menu to allow selecting your intended course of action.

I have tried this in my local copy and slowly it becomes possible to really play ADOM mouse-only - although there are lots of more details we need to tackle! But I am very happy with the progress.

07-05-2017 04:18 PM
Beware of potions of poison on the ground. As it is said, take care of your venom!..

07-05-2017 04:41 PM
Heh ixi has a point. Perhaps it would be better to have the context menu open up anyways, even if only one thing is on the ground. Wouldn't want to accidentally drink a potion of poison :p

07-06-2017 08:36 PM
The Creator
Clicking on stairs now makes you use them (works also for other kinds of exits and entrances).

07-07-2017 01:29 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Jarinex
Heh ixi has a point. Perhaps it would be better to have the context menu open up anyways, even if only one thing is on the ground. Wouldn't want to accidentally drink a potion of poison :p
Whenever there is an item on the ground that is edible or drinkable, you always will get a context menu as two options are possible: pick up or consume (eat/drink).

07-07-2017 01:30 PM
The Creator
General mouse control is pretty nice so I'm going to close this general ticket. Nonetheless while playing mouse-only I notice dozens of things that could be improved but I want to have specific tickets for that.

07-07-2017 07:22 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Whenever there is an item on the ground that is edible or drinkable, you always will get a context menu as two options are possible: pick up or consume (eat/drink).
Sounds batter! I got an impression I doomed to drink every potion on the way and eat every chaos monk corpse... Oh wait, I don't play with mouse :D

+ Reply