Steam Release: There is no satiation display with the new UI
issueid=3477 12-17-2014 10:59 PM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Steam Release: There is no satiation display with the new UI

As with alignment display, there is currently no way to view your character's satiation level with the new UI. This is a huge, huge problem, especially for new players. Unlike most statuses and attributes, it cannot be seen from the character information screen. ('@')

I recommend important things (like satiation, alignment, HP, burden level, and special status (like "confused") be graphically displayed on the top of the screen, alongside the DV/PV displays. I also recommend satiation levels be visible from the character information screen.

(I realize holding down "shift" will tell you if you're starving or bloated or something, which is why I gave this a priority of "2", but there really should be somewhere you can see your satiation level)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3477
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Fixed
Priority 2
Affected Version ADOM r53
Fixed Version ADOM r54
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt, Ravenmore, Zeno
Tags (none)

12-17-2014 11:07 PM
Ancient Member
Just hover over the character :) All satiation levels except the default one are displayed as statuses. Same for burden levels. Takes getting used to, but it's quite nice...or so we think.
As for seeing at first glance: hunger and burden levels also have tiny icons above the healthbar, same as other statuses. After a few games this seemed enough.

More opinions on this issue are most welcome.

12-17-2014 11:12 PM
Yes, but you can see your burden level, or HP, or anything else (except alignment, which has *no* display at all now) from the "@" menu. You can't view satiation level anywhere but by pressing "shift" or hovering over the character.

12-17-2014 11:35 PM
Also, this method does not work in the wilderness, which is where you're most likely to become hungry in the first place.

12-18-2014 03:08 AM
I'm the same way, i like the endless scroll but that configuration lacks a lot of useful information that you would normally see (stats) dungeon level, etc.

12-18-2014 03:09 AM
Maybe those status icons can be enlarged and put elsewhere on the screen?

12-18-2014 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
Honestly, I find the new minimalistic interface... too minimalistic.

It's really useful to have information like satiation level, dungeon level, alignment, stats, etc. always at hand, without doing any special action.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm an old guard player. It would be interesting to know if new players feel the same way. But at the very least, I think there should be an option for a more complete HUD, so that we can activate it if we want even if others prefer to go with minimalism.

12-19-2014 10:41 AM
Honestly, the top bar looks kind of empty right now since there's only DV and PV there. You could easily fill it out with graphical representations of important info without cluttering up the screen at all. Some recommendations (a few carried over from other threads):

HP: Have a image of a heart (or even a big red bulb, if that's not too Diabloish) that is filled in red to whatever percentage of the total HP the player possesses, and also has the current HP superimposed in white text. (30/117 or something)

MP: Same thing, but with a blue potion (chalice? bulb?) instead.

Alignment: have an image of a scale with white stones on the right, black on the left. Then have the balance of the scale roughly represent the PC's alignment. I.e, the left side is down and the right up (with more black than white stones?) = chaotic, the right side is down and the left up (more white than black) =lawful, balanced = neutral, slightly to the left or right = N- or N+, etc.

Level: An image of a stairway, with the current level superimposed in white text. (D:4, S:2, SIL, etc.)

Status: Just have an icon pop up with whatever statuses the PC is currently inflicted with. So maybe a picture of a man walking with a bar through it for paralyzed, a picture of a confused man's face for confused, a man with a "doh, just got hit with a frying pan" face for stunned, a picture of a guy sleeping for asleep, etc. This would disappear after the status is gone.

Hunger: A picture of a loaf of bread or an apple or a ration or something, that changes color (or shape maybe?) with hunger status. So long as it's easy to monitor, it shouldn't be a problem.

And optionally (since this is less important),

Attributes:
Strength: A arm flexing, with the stat number superimposed in white. Alternatively, a sword. (which is RPG standard) if you want to have a shout out to the elemental orbs, make it a fire. (for the fire orb, which enhances strength)
Learning: Ditto, but with a book.
Willpower: Kind of esoteric, but maybe a picture of a tree. Or if you want to go elemental here, a water droplet. (for water, you see the trend here)
Dexterity: A whirlwind. (A picture of a bow is pretty common, but might get confused with missile stats)
Toughness: A mountain. (A picture of a plate mail is pretty common, but it might get confused with PV.)
Charisma: Tough one. Maybe a man's face with slicked back hair smiling? Or just a picture of a mouth.
Appearance: An ornate mirror.
Mana: A glowing orb.
Perception: A pair of eyes.

And:
Speed: A pair of feet running.

I really hope this gets read and considered. From the looks of it Team ADOM hasn't been too active since the Steam release, but maybe they're just waiting for the weekend. :)

12-19-2014 03:05 PM
I think Dogbreath hit the nail on the head! The new UI is meant to be played full screen, lets make use of the extra pixels and make things more visible.

ADOM is a strategy based RPG, information is key and I don't think a minimalist route is the way to go.

01-05-2015 06:57 PM
The Creator
There now are more prompts and the default more mode again is to use SPACE/ENTER instead of allowing any key (because any key too easily skipped the prompts).

01-05-2015 11:17 PM
I think you replied to the wrong thread? :)

01-11-2015 08:13 PM
So this issue hasn't actually been fixed as of r54, I recommend reopening it.

01-11-2015 09:17 PM
The Creator
The comment is in the wrong issue, that's true. But there now is a satiation display once you get hungry. Top left. Impossible to miss.

01-11-2015 09:35 PM
Ah, cool. Nevermind then. :)

Edit: Wow, that really is obvious. *goes and bangs head on wall*

01-11-2015 11:12 PM
The Creator
Lol :-d

01-11-2015 11:12 PM
The Creator
I'll keep it closed then ;-)

+ Reply