a single key should do all random stuff at the start
issueid=3660 03-11-2015 09:01 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
a single key should do all random stuff at the start

Ok minor thing, but if I want to quickly roll a character that is entirely random, I think I should be able to mash a key (asterisk or r for example).

Example: '[f]ate decide' could be 'fate [r]andomly decide',[*] random for gender could be [r]andom.

UPDATE: perhaps also be presented with options at the first character creation menu for making the whole process random (up to or even including character naming, if you got some kind of name generator going).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3660
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-21-2015 08:28 AM
Ancient Member
Rather than post an entirely new bug report I thought I'd mention that 'r' for sex doesn't work at all--I would add 'anymore' but my memory is sketchy, but I'm pretty sure this worked once upon a time.
*EDIT I'm a doofus, it's asterisk and I even say that in the OP. However, the on-screen text makes no mention of this! (anymore?)
Random talent picks should also be possible. And perhaps just 'auto-random' the whole thing for people who just want to quickly roll any old character to test something. Even the PC's name!

11-21-2015 03:02 PM
I like the idea of being able to randomly get a character without having to push a bunch of different buttons. Though I'd still like to be able to name my characters despite it all being random.

11-21-2015 04:45 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Goldor
I like the idea of being able to randomly get a character without having to push a bunch of different buttons. Though I'd still like to be able to name my characters despite it all being random.
I wouldn't want you to not have it. No reason everyone can't have what they want:

[c]hoose, [r]andom, [a]ll random from this selection onward, all random from this selection onward including character [n]ame. Or so (some of those chars might be reserved). Or even a 'pregen character' option in the main menu.

11-21-2015 05:45 PM
Why not just standardise the * asterisk for all randomisation instead? Choosing 'r' conflicts with choosing a specific class, and currently it's already mapped to a class, which is why * is used throughout.
Letting 'f'ate decide is a more attractive way to enable class randomisation in my opinion but if keeping the same key throughout is important it could always show up as letting fate decide '*'.

11-21-2015 05:49 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
Why not just standardise the * asterisk for all randomisation instead? Choosing 'r' conflicts with choosing a specific class, and currently it's already mapped to a class, which is why * is used throughout.
I've changed the OP to reflect this, since I do think using a numpad key that one can hold down is probably better.

11-21-2015 05:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
I've changed the OP to reflect this, since I do think using a numpad key that one can hold down is probably better.
Cool. :)

The asterisk is currently used throughout already, though, except for the opening option to let 'f'ate decide - so I suppose at that point it's more a matter of stylistic versus utlitarian preference.

11-21-2015 06:15 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
Cool. :)

The asterisk is currently used throughout already, though, except for the opening option to let 'f'ate decide - so I suppose at that point it's more a matter of stylistic versus utlitarian preference.
Utilitarian is my focus. I just wanted to be able to hold a key and get either to the name prompt or into the actual game (so random talent selection should be a thing), but maybe that could be bound to a single button-press as well.

On second thoughts, the power to edit ones' post and title when polling for votes can be abused since you can make people vote something they don't approve. I'll leave it as it is and hopefully this minor change won't upset anyone.

11-21-2015 06:21 PM
Well, there's always an edit list (for example in one of mine you can see where one of the suggested options has been reduced to an alternative option with a comment next to it explaining why this has happened), but it's true that not everyone reads it.

11-21-2015 10:58 PM
Hey, I'm for [r], not for[*],[*] requires shift on laptop US keyboards!

11-21-2015 11:29 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Hey, I'm for [r], not for[*],[*] requires shift on laptop US keyboards!
But are you opposed to the idea if another key had to be chosen? Edited again. Hopefully Thomas will find a way to interpret the idea in a way that pleases everyone.

11-21-2015 11:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
But are you opposed to the idea if another key had to be chosen? Edited again. Hopefully Thomas will find a way to interpret the idea in a way that pleases everyone.
I upvoted idea at the first day it was created I'm for it anyway but really would love to see this implemented in a convenient way for laptop users. I don't think those who always had notepad felt the same way as laptop users with no numpad.
Holding shift would be much a problem... Unless this stupid "sticky key" function in windows which damn exceptionally hard to disable completely especially on my work laptop where I don't have full admin access.

01-06-2016 09:54 PM
The Creator
The new character generation process in R65 allows you to completely and easily configure each step of the character generation process with tons of choices, the availability to store configurations and re-use them and so much more. Blog post upcoming. It's nothing short of marvelous :-)

+ Reply