Druid spell knowledge and book generation skewed?
issueid=3696 04-15-2015 04:07 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99
Druid spell knowledge and book generation skewed?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, intentional, or just the RNG messing with me.

I'm playing an orc druid on R57, and I've found about 10 spellbooks of Divine Wrath so far compared to 5 books of other spells.

I have generated a few other books, but the knowledge I get from them is very low--even spells like Cure Light Wounds and Dispel Undead. I'm 13th level, I have a Learning of 15, and I can't get these spells over 100.

Reading the spells Light and Cure Disease gave a more normal number of castings.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3696
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r57
Fixed Version ADOM r68 (v2.2.2)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-15-2015 10:11 PM
It's their trademark spell, so druids definitely get more spellbooks of Divine Wrath. The casting issue is because Divine Wrath is still an arcane spell, while druids are clerical casters (and therefore better at Cure Light Wounds and Light). It's pretty noticeable at orc levels of learning.

04-16-2015 07:04 AM
The problem is the opposite actually--I get very low castings of the priest spells even at Le 15 and level 12-13. That's what made me wonder if it was a bug, even more than the skewed spellbook distribution.
Druids should learn roughly as priests, right?
Anyway, that character is dead now.

04-17-2015 03:32 PM
So I tried again, and I think the problem might just be that a couple of spells are misclassified with respect to the druid.

For example, this orc druid managed to get 150 castings of Heal from one reading. Then I read a book of Cure Light Wounds and got only 48 castings. Subsequent readings of CLW gradually inched the number of castings up to 100. Again, this was around level 12-13 with a Learning of 15. Both books were uncursed.

It's hard to be sure, but I think it's worth reviewing the druid spell affinities.

Also, again Lightning Bolt accounts for about half of all spellbooks found. I understand it's a signature spell, but this seems excessive and I don't remember past druids experiencing such an overload.

04-17-2015 09:08 PM
I hadn't noticed any clerical/arcane mismatches, but it does seem the spellbook weighting is more in favor of the class-specific spells. My most recent necromancer had about 50% Frost Bolt books, I thought it was just a coincidence but it could be a similar change.

08-07-2015 09:28 AM
Salamander wizard is getting about 50% Fire Bolt spellbooks.

08-07-2015 05:16 PM
http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-Divine-Wrath! - relevant thread, showing others can reproduce this issue too, possibly has something to do with guaranteed spellbook type character starts with.

08-22-2015 10:02 PM
The Creator
This is really interesting. I have examined the source code and as far as I can see, the code for determining the spell contained in a spell book has not changed since January 2012 at least (we switched our version control system at that time... I don't have the older history available).

10-27-2015 09:55 PM
I can attest to this as well I play druid often and it seems that the majority of the spells I find are Divine Wrath and as for attack spells it is almost but not quite exclusively Divine Wrath. I mean I don't mind having 4600+ uses of divine wrath at level 15 but still, it would be nice to occasionally find other attack spells ;)

10-28-2015 05:59 PM
One strange thing I noticed with druids that sometime they can not even learn the Divine Wrath they start with. The message they got was like "Can not decipher the book". I dunno if this is a bug.

10-28-2015 06:16 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Seravajan
One strange thing I noticed with druids that sometime they can not even learn the Divine Wrath they start with. The message they got was like "Can not decipher the book". I dunno if this is a bug.
This is just a literacy/learning fail. Druids start with only mediocre literacy score (~60, typically), so there's a decent chance to fail reading even pretty easy books, especially if your Le is below 20.

08-28-2016 02:57 PM

08-28-2016 09:04 PM
The last Ultra I did was a druid, I think it was just before R57. 4 books out of five were divine wrath, which I thought was a little too much. All in all it's a really bad class compared to priest, but you pretty much have the Cat Lord ring guaranteed, and it's still a fun to play class.

+ Reply