[RFE]Reduce the Effect of "Essence of Corruption" on Items
issueid=3880 09-12-2015 07:17 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
[RFE]Reduce the Effect of "Essence of Corruption" on Items

Several items, notably the Chaos Trinity and the Raw Steel items, carry the essence of chaos and corruption. Apparently, this has the effect of giving 1 corruption point per turn if carried, and 2 points per turn if equipped. Unfortunately, this effect is so severe, that items with this intrinsic, regardless of how good they may be, are basically never used. Even using these for a short time (eg. clearing the ToEF with the SoRS, carrying the trinity for an ultra) is still enough to inflict significant corruption on the PC, and longterm usage is totally out of the question. For one of these items being equipped, this is almost twice the corruption rate of D:50 in the 1.1.1 days, and, of course, background corruption rates have since been reduced.

My suggestion is that this effect be toned down significantly, to make these items a little more usable. I'd say halving the current corruption rate is probably a good place to start, and even then I think these items would probably still be shunned by the vast majority of players. Going to a quarter of the current rate would probably not be too imbalancing, even.

An alternative might be to have it that these items have increasing corruption with depth, similar to the day 90 effect, but I think that a flat rate is fine, just not at the current levels.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3880
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 16
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-12-2015 11:01 AM
Ancient Member
I made a similar suggestion. It really depends on how intentional it was to make the corrupting effects of these items as aggressive as they are. (I also wonder how different it would be for a chaos knight born on unicorn to equip these items?)

09-12-2015 03:05 PM
The problem with corrupting items is that nearly all of them doom your character. I can accept gaining corruptions later in exchange for power now, but getting +Doom is just not worth it.
That's why basically the only +Chaos artifact that is ever used by people is SoRS.
Chaos Knights with C alignment with unicorn and no less than 10 corruptions resist about 50% of corruption.

09-12-2015 09:05 PM
You are right and I upovoted, but I really doubt this will ever be implemented.

09-13-2015 10:34 PM
These items would be much more insidious (and more effective corruptors) if they corrupted a bit less, because then we would be tempted to use them for a time and soak up some corruption for the the power their provide.

Agreed on reducing corruption.
Also agreed on removing +Doom (maybe +Curse instead?)

09-14-2015 05:42 PM
Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc
The problem with corrupting items is that nearly all of them doom your character. I can accept gaining corruptions later in exchange for power now, but getting +Doom is just not worth it.
Agree with that. I would use these artifacts sometimes for some characters if doom/curse was removed.

09-15-2015 03:54 PM
Ancient Member
Another yes from me. Using chaos essence items is supposed to be a risk vs. reward situation, but their corruption effect is so lop-sided they're a letdown, and so is the +Doom on some of them (I never equip any dooming items, no matter how great they are otherwise).

09-15-2015 07:44 PM
Ancient Member
Related to: Issue 2859

03-02-2021 04:36 AM
Ancient Member
Obtained both holy scarf and martyred crusader armour on same character, both of which reduce background corruption, only to pop two corruptions just carrying raw steel shield from darkforge to dwarftown. Would be nice if those reductions applied to all corruption gains!

+ Reply