force people to write a message on an RFE before being able to place a vote
issueid=4093 11-24-2015 12:19 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
force people to write a message on an RFE before being able to place a vote

With a minimum length set. So we can see whether the reasoning is good or not. Sometimes people are reactionary, don't digest what is being proposed properly, or misunderstand what is being proposed and cast their vote on that basis (take this RFE of mine as one example)--this proposition would expose their poor reasoning, plus some people feel snubbed if their idea gets rejected without anyone displaying their reasoning; whether that's rational or not it would still stop feelings from getting hurt (someone over-reacted recently and asked for their account to be banned after such a rejection--their request was honored--while he chose to respond poorly I'd rather avoid such things as much as possible). Plus, who knows--some people might genuinely be trolling the votes--let's see how many rejections without explanation this one gets. :)

EDIT: And display in the vote-casters message-header which way they voted--if the vote wasn't sincere and earnest enough that they would stamp their name on it and stand up for it, then perhaps they don't feel strongly enough about it that they should be casting any votes.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4093
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 29
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-24-2015 04:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
I think what could be written after "I think your opinion is wrong because..." could be something of value, and may sway your mind, or the minds of others, and it is conceited to think it couldn't and act accordingly, and I don't think the freedom to be conceited is the first freedom.
And what if I don't want to hear why I'm wrong?

11-24-2015 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
And what if I don't want to hear why I'm wrong?
LOL. No sorry, that's... ok. Plug your ears! Close your eyes! I dunno, whatever you usually do.

11-24-2015 04:13 PM
LOL. No sorry, that's... ok. Plug your ears! Close your eyes! I dunno, whatever you usually do.
And if don't wanna everyone hear why I'm wrong? :P
Well, I mostly do want but I'd love to have a possibility to stay silent if I want. Without any restriction to votes by the way. I guess those who voted against here want to have such possibility too.

11-24-2015 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
I think people just need to stop taking downvotes personally. Sometimes people just don't like a particular RFE. There's a bazillion RFEs on this forum, and most of them will probably never be implemented, regardless of how many up-or-down votes that they have. The only vote that matters is TB's.

11-24-2015 04:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I think people just need to stop taking downvotes personally. Sometimes people just don't like a particular RFE. There's a bazillion RFEs on this forum, and most of them will probably never be implemented, regardless of how many up-or-down votes that they have. The only vote that matters is TB's.
Having the tough skin.... I mean thick skin talent would fix one of the issues, yes. My proposition revolves around a concept 'quality-of-vote'. This isn't how a real-world democracy should operate, but if TB could turn over the ballot card and read what's on the other side and say "you voted because THAT?" well, that's why Ixi's proposition that only the devs get to see it gets half of a vote from me. And yes, the other half is so that we can argue. Feel free to argue with that. :)

11-24-2015 04:36 PM
Ancient Member
Now I showed you why this RFE would not work.

11-24-2015 04:38 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Now I showed you why this RFE would not work.
No idea what you're talking about.

11-24-2015 05:30 PM
No idea what you're talking about.
Because you won't hear an answer "why downvote" from him :) But he dropped a comment as per your RFE.

11-24-2015 05:47 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Because you won't hear an answer "why downvote" from him :) But he dropped a comment as per your RFE.
In that case he demonstrated why it will work, if 'working' is exposing the quality of the vote. The words speak for themselves, even if it's gibberish.

11-24-2015 05:54 PM
Please stop making tickets about RFE voting as they are surely a pain for people to sift through. If someone downvotes your idea they didn't like it. They don't need to give an explanation other than they don't like it (and likely someone else already commented with the same reason for why they didn't like it). Arguing on a ticket is not helpful most of the time. A comment should be merely for expressing your opinion or to suggest a new idea/enhancement. If you really want an in-depth discussion about an idea, use the forum, and then make a ticket after a consensus is reached.

11-24-2015 06:06 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by hapro
Please stop making tickets about RFE voting as they are surely a pain for people to sift through.
I don't think they're anymore painful to sift through than any other sort of RFE.

If someone downvotes your idea they didn't like it. They don't need to give an explanation other than they don't like it (and likely someone else already commented with the same reason for why they didn't like it). Arguing on a ticket is not helpful most of the time. A comment should be merely for expressing your opinion or to suggest a new idea/enhancement. If you really want an in-depth discussion about an idea, use the forum, and then make a ticket after a consensus is reached.
You're right. I think I've said all I need to anyway, but if anyone wants to pick it up elsewhere then fine.

11-26-2015 12:16 AM
I think this is a reasonable idea. Not sure if necessary, but if this is enacted, it shouldn't be made too draconian. A single line of text would be fine.
It's obviously nice to have some decent feedback on your RFE, especially from those voting No, but I don't think limiting votes to only the long-winded is a good idea, either.
I would be tempted to upvote in support except for two things: one, sometimes people simply don't have the time or confidence to converse but want to vote on an issue they care about, and two, I completely disagree with the idea of forcing user votes to be publically visible - this opens people up to far too much potential retribution. They're not the sole decisive factor when RFEs are approved or rejected so they shouldn't need to carry that much weight.
So that's my two cents, no vote cast.

11-26-2015 12:27 AM
Rather than making this a forum necessity, then, would it just be a good idea to include some sort of stickied conduct post in the main forum asking people to please provide polite and helpful feedback when downvoting RFEs?
It won't change global user behaviour en masse, but it might put the idea into the heads of a few people who weren't aware it was desirable.

11-26-2015 04:40 AM
I vote against because the flaws out weigh the merits.

11-26-2015 10:08 AM
I think before discussing this you should first ask if such a thing is even possible with the current bug-tracking software used...

11-26-2015 01:29 PM
Ancient Member
I'd rather see less comments, not more. The tit for tat messaging in this thread alone is a good example of how comments aren't necessarily helpful.

But mostly I voted 'no' on this because the majority of my votes are 'yes' for RFEs, because often they're simple and cool ideas that need no cheerleading. Being able to quickly go through proposals and vote up the ones I like without fuss is handy.

Also requiring a written post might put people off voting at all.

11-26-2015 01:55 PM
Agreed .. forcing more comments just adds noise to the discussion. (The voting is a nice way to compliment it .. the quickness with which one can vote is part of that.)

11-26-2015 02:49 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
I'd rather see less comments, not more. The tit for tat messaging in this thread alone is a good example of how comments aren't necessarily helpful.
Sorry you feel that way. I've answered peoples point individually, not gone back and forth between one person, and I think I've argued my position well, not engaged in childish one-upmanship for its own sake.

Are you 100% certain Thomas will read this thread and go "argh, all this bickering when I could be coding instead!" rather than "Hmm, that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered..." ?

12-05-2015 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
Are you 100% certain Thomas will read this thread and go "argh, all this bickering when I could be coding instead!" rather than "Hmm, that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered..." ?
I'd be shocked if Thomas read more than 1% of all the comments on the site. If he did he'd have no time for actual coding.

02-15-2021 02:37 AM
Downvoting to reduce excess noise and allow voter anonymity.

+ Reply