Make classic interface (Ctrl-n m) available in config
issueid=4168 12-15-2015 04:08 PM
Number of reported issues by Shinae: 2
Make classic interface (Ctrl-n m) available in config
Old school the best school

I really hate to press "Ctrl-n m" to switch classic ascii interface every new game. I tried looking thru all config files, but can't find a way to set it default. Would it be too much asked for to make it available in config file or ingame settings?

This is especially frustrating to switch modes when I'm trying to get thru Small Cave with weak stat/gear race/class combo and I keep killing 99% of my characters there.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4168
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10 (Steam)
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version ADOM r71 (v2.2.5)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 24
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt, Zeno
Tags (none)

12-15-2015 05:21 PM
Ancient Member
Absolutely needs to be done.

12-15-2015 08:17 PM
Agreed!

12-15-2015 09:46 PM
Yes please. I'm the one who loves old interface and the one who dies a lot in early game too.

12-16-2015 12:13 AM
Ancient Member
To be honest I wonder if the devs should reconsider whether the classic interface should be the default again... I have seen *lots* of posts on the Steam forums asking for this key combination, and I don't think all of them were by veterans.

In any case, saving this configuration somewhere so as not to have to press Ctrl+n m every time is a must.

12-16-2015 05:40 AM
Ancient Member
The Deluxe UI will have to stay as default as it looks more professional and has mouse-controls and toolboxes bound to it.

12-16-2015 02:18 PM
Ancient Member
"More professional" is a highly subjective statement.

12-16-2015 04:11 PM
I agree with deluxe UI being default. Just wish there was option to turn classic UI default for us who wish it. I personally think deluxe UI could use some work too. It's just so messy compared to classic ascii UI.

12-16-2015 05:37 PM
Ancient Member
As far as my personal comfort is concerned, I don't care much what is the default, as once this or one of the equivalent RFEs get implemented (which I'm sure will happen soon), it will be a matter of changing an option and forgetting forever. The important thing about defaults is that they should be good for new players, as old-school players like myself know how to fish for configuration options and can adapt.

However, I have seen in the forums that there is really a lot of people that prefer the classic UI layout, of course some of them are veterans but I suspect even newbies that try it tend to prefer it, as there are a lot of people I've never seen in the community before asking for this option. It would be a pity that newbies who don't know how to change the default were stuck with a suboptimal layout, that's why I think the default should be reconsidered.

Note that "reconsider" could mean making usability tests with a few newbies, or maybe a poll, etc., and perhaps the conclusion would be that I'm wrong and most newbies prefer the new UI, while old-school players only prefer it due to inertia or nostalgia. I don't have data to back my hypothesis, just an impression based on seeing a lot of people asking for the classic UI, but this of course may be biased (who knows how many other players prefer the new one and are not speaking). However, the devs could obtain such data to make a reliable guess about which UI is really preferred.

08-18-2016 08:51 PM
This seems to be more necessary than ever at the moment.

08-29-2016 10:09 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
[...] I suspect even newbies that try it tend to prefer it, as there are a lot of people I've never seen in the community before asking for this option.
This reasoning does not look convincing. The fraction of players who decide to join the community is quite small. For example, I don't join the communities of most games I play, even if I like them. I think it is much more likely that these people were ADOM veterans who have never decided to join the community before, but have decided to post something now on Steam forums -- and they have decided to do this because of the very low barrier to entry, as all you need to post in the Steam forum is the Steam account which you already have.

08-30-2016 02:43 AM

However, I have seen in the forums that there is really a lot of people that prefer the classic UI layout, of course some of them are veterans but I suspect even newbies that try it tend to prefer it, as there are a lot of people I've never seen in the community before asking for this option. It would be a pity that newbies who don't know how to change the default were stuck with a suboptimal layout, that's why I think the default should be reconsidered.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I'm a newbie, and I prefer the deluxe UI over classic. Like you said, it's going to be a matter of taste, but the deluxe UI is sleeker and more attractive to newcomers versus the classic. I also believe they are making some improvements to the deluxe UI, so we will see how that turns out.

That being said I understand why others would want this feature, and I support the idea of allowing this feature.

08-30-2016 08:53 AM
Ancient Member
By the way, because UI is such a hugely broad term: are we talking about the layout, or something more?

Like if you had the old Charname+stats+DV/PV etc. etc. display, but still had the endless message buffer and all other features is that cool? Or am I missing the point entirely? :)

@Zeno: Could also be players coming from other roguelikes, savvy enough to know what to expect and that asking questions or requesting features is a good idea, but not familiar with ADOM in particular?
Have to agree that people posting on any kind of forums are 1-5% of the total community in any game.

08-30-2016 11:36 AM
Guys, it really doesn't matter how cool new UI is. There always will be % loving old UI more. Why they can't be satisfied by such an obvious and simple feature as saving and preserving their preference?

08-30-2016 09:38 PM
The Creator
It shall be preserved, promise :-)

09-02-2016 09:57 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore
Like if you had the old Charname+stats+DV/PV etc. etc. display, but still had the endless message buffer and all other features is that cool? Or
am I missing the point entirely? :)
For me personally it would be cool. The endless buffer is nice. It's the lack of textual information about stats, statuses and all the other stuff that makes me hit Ctrl+n m every time. From what I have heard most people complaining about this seem to be on the same boat.

About the people in forums not being representative of the average user, yes, I agree. That's why I said "I think", "I suspect", etc. because I know the forum posts are just anecdotes, not actual data. I gave a personal estimate based on those anecdotes but it may be misguided. It's nice to see that there are newbies like Jarinex that prefer the new UI - if you have worked hard designing the new UI, it's good that it's not in vain, even if some of us keep clinging to Ctrl+n m as if they were the last keys on the keyboard! :)

09-04-2016 11:22 PM
For me personally it would be cool. The endless buffer is nice. It's the lack of textual information about stats, statuses and all the other stuff that makes me hit Ctrl+n m every time. From what I have heard most people complaining about this seem to be on the same boat.
Just wanted to say that I'm in this boat too. The only thing I love with the new UI more than in the old one - endless message buffer. I still like seeing all the stats and like seeing them at the bottom.

09-19-2016 08:23 PM
Administrator
I just started working on this issue... so an option will be available in the next release. ;)

09-20-2016 04:06 AM
Honestly I think this should be a main menu thing (maybe a Toggle?)

I have answered this question *so* *many* *times*, and burying it in config won't make the queries go away.

09-28-2016 05:40 PM
Administrator
The default message buffer mode (for new characters) can now be configured in both adom.cfg and the ingame settings.

03-18-2017 06:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
The default message buffer mode (for new characters) can now be configured in both adom.cfg and the ingame settings.
On R72, neither of those options (changing it from ingame or changing adom.cfg) seems to work correctly. This is on windows 10.

+ Reply