Shopkeepers should have more money initially.
issueid=4311 05-10-2016 09:38 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Shopkeepers should have more money initially.

I got to HMV with my mindcrafter, being very strained.
Obviously I was carrying tons of loot ready to sell.
So here's my surprise when I sold items worth around 5000 gold and the shopkeeper says he doesn't have any more money to pay me.
This is kinda ridiculous considering the expenses at this stage of the game - I wanted to go and learn detect and disarm traps then convert an altar.
I cannot do that due to lack of money.

I'm not asking for infinite funds so they can buy anything and everything, but five thousand is a *bit* too little.
If they could have a guaranteed amount of, say, 20k gold, that would fix this problem.

I believe it's reasonable that shopkeepers' ability to purchase items from PC should increase with time/number of items sold/char level or whatever, it's just that the initial value is horribly low.
Such a low value serves no function in my opinion, other than forcing the players to grind if they really need the cash.
Mindcrafters have notoriously abysmal dice values on skills so its important to obtain said trap management skills asap and commence training, to have any reasonable values later, when it counts.
Of course, every other race/class combination would benefit from this change as well.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4311
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-11-2016 12:55 AM
Shopkeepers have money not to provide the player with funds, but to allow him to barter for the items on display. As such, they should only have a bit more than the potential(if you fail haggling for it) cost of the most expensive item on sale.

Frankly, it might make sense to remove gold from the equation altogether - whatever you sell is added on your tab (for that specific shopkeeper) that you can use to pay for his stock.

If you want gold for training, it is monsters who should provide you with it.

05-11-2016 12:26 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Shopkeepers have money not to provide the player with funds, but to allow him to barter for the items on display. As such, they should only have a bit more than the potential(if you fail haggling for it) cost of the most expensive item on sale.
Frankly, it might make sense to remove gold from the equation altogether - whatever you sell is added on your tab (for that specific shopkeeper) that you can use to pay for his stock.
If you want gold for training, it is monsters who should provide you with it.
I disagree. Shopkeepers already offer much less than the real price of the items in question, they make tremendous profit.
It makes zero sense to remove gold from equation; in my games shops are my PC's only sink for gold - I don't use it for piety since live sacs are preferable and I don't ever train stats with Garth.
Barter is nice and fine in a world without currency, but ADOM does have currency.
Everything shopkeepers do is a clear indication of their interest in gold rather than barter-based goods exchange - the cash box, increasing prices as items are sold, traders' guild and player's debts/insolvency etc.

Again, my RFE does not aim at turning shopkeepers into money providers, I'm only asking for a slight increase.
Such increase will impact the early game in positive ways only.
At the stage of the game where it matters, monsters don't provide enough gold via regular drops, even with miser and treasure hunter.
Bear in mind I'm a completionist so I really kill a lot of monsters, explore levels entirely and pick up every piece of loot.
It's still insufficient most of the time.
At the stage where monsters do drop more (dragons etc.), gold loses relevance entirely.

It is that lack of balance that I aim to address.

06-12-2016 09:56 PM
The Creator
I have somewhat improved the starting money of shopkeepers.

+ Reply