[RFE] Make Mummy Wrapping turn the character visible.
issueid=4322 05-30-2016 07:18 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
[RFE] Make Mummy Wrapping turn the character visible.

If you have acquired permanent invisibility intrinsic, currently there is no way to negate it for an extensive period of time (short of a pool), which makes it impossible to complete Arena quest.
One of the classic solutions for an invisible man is to completely cover himself in bandages, which makes one look a bit like a mummy.
It would be cool if that worked in ADOM, too.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4322
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 13
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-30-2016 07:49 PM
If you mean a regular mummy wrapping but excluding the AMW, this sounds like a funny enough idea. :)

05-30-2016 11:08 PM
I think maybe just adding a scroll of visibility that made every creature in the area visible for some time (like an area of effect potion of visibility) could be helpful. At least that way there are 2 random items that make you visible.

05-31-2016 06:09 AM
Ancient Member
Nice. It would also let you make use of a completely useless item.

05-31-2016 09:52 AM
Ancient Member
This is an amazing suggestion and thematically proper I think. You have my vote.

06-01-2016 10:20 PM
Nice idea! Voted.

06-02-2016 05:42 PM
Haha, this is very cool, I like it. Plus, it has a guaranteed way to get visibility if you desperately need it.

06-02-2016 06:26 PM
Well, it makes sense thematically, but shouldn't permanent invisibility have at least one negative effect? (balance point of view)?
Realism suffers as well - why other clother wouldn't make characters visible too?

06-02-2016 08:00 PM
Realism and Adom aren't exactly the best of buddies anyway.

I think the negative effect is still there - if you are willing to remove your real armour and replace it with a [-2, 0] mummy wrapping instead, then you're rather desperate. :)

06-03-2016 11:25 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
I think the negative effect is still there - if you are willing to remove your real armour and replace it with a [-2, 0] mummy wrapping instead, then you're rather desperate. :)
Who cares. You need it only to get to the Arena. Once there, wear whatever you want.

06-03-2016 02:45 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Who cares. You need it only to get to the Arena. Once there, wear whatever you want.
What's your point? Yeah, that's the most common place - among very few - where invisibility even has a negative effect. Obviously the need for a mummy wrapping is also quite rare and sporadic.

A couple other cases spring to mind where invisibility is a bad thing, such as

06-03-2016 09:19 PM
Ancient Member
I always keep a bag of flour in my kitchen just in case I should ever turn invisible.

06-06-2016 12:13 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
What's your point?
Harkila conidered [-2, 0] on the wrapping as a negative effect but it doesn't really matter if the wrapping will have the anti-invisibility effect. That's my point.

In any case I think that this would be a clever trick that will make a game more fun.

06-12-2016 07:34 PM
The Creator
What would the reasoning be for the ancient mummy wrapping to leave invisibility as it is? Or should it also deactivate invisibility?

06-12-2016 07:41 PM
The Creator
For now the standard mummy wrapping negates invisibility.

06-13-2016 01:49 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
What would the reasoning be for the ancient mummy wrapping to leave invisibility as it is? Or should it also deactivate invisibility?
Mainly gameplay ones - AMW is an important and useful artifact armor/quest reward that grants hard-to-get-otherwise cold immunity, so tinkering with it needs very careful consideration - it can greatly affect difficulty of areas like Ice Queen Domain, and of cold-using monsters.
Ordinary mummy wrapping, being near useless, doesn't have this problem, and negating player's invisibility is not something that makes him more powerful so that change can be made without much worry.

06-13-2016 02:05 AM
Ancient Member
Although, there was that thread about tinkering with quest rewards, making AMW negate invisibility would be an excellent nerf.

06-13-2016 01:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
My vote for it! AMW good without invisibility.

06-13-2016 04:49 PM
Ancient Member
On the one hand, it would be a sensible nerf for the AMW.

On the other hand, it would make standard mummy wrappings totally useless again, because again everything a standard mummy wrapping can do would be done better by the AMW.

So while I love the idea of making standard mummy wrappings negate invisibility, I'm not so sure the AMW should as well.

06-14-2016 07:14 AM
I think AMW does not need further nerfs. It's already pretty low on PV, and by the time you get it, you have usually found some adamantium stuff already. Also, as Ap nowadays plays a role in corruptions, Ap-8 makes you consider twice before using it for a longer time. It's IMHO very balanced as-is.

10-08-2016 01:01 PM
-- deleted ---

+ Reply