Monsters attack with dual wielding shields
issueid=4356 07-25-2016 09:34 AM
Number of reported issues by cross: 1

Fistanarius, the greater balor, equips the medium shield.
Fistanarius, the greater balor, equips the wooden shield.
Fistanarius, the greater balor hits you. You feel corrupted!

Probably applies to other monsters too?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4356
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r59
Fixed Version ADOM r68 (v2.2.2)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-25-2016 09:55 AM
Not sure if that's a case of dual-wielding or just a lack of a message that a monster unwields something in between.

Also, it's nowhere said that greater balors would have only two hands. ;)

07-25-2016 02:31 PM
Ancient Member
Game did not say he punched you... Even with the hands being busy, he likely has wings, horns, hooves, etc...

07-25-2016 05:01 PM
The creator asked me in Facebook to fill a bug report. I did.

07-25-2016 06:49 PM
Ancient Member
I'd assume this applies to all monsters, as monster inventories in ADOM are not particularly specific. IIRC, there's other weird things that can happen like a monster can equip four suits of armor at once.

I don't think that preventing monsters from attacking while dual-wielding shields is the best solution, as this is the kind of thing that could be easily to exploit. Better just to prevent them from equipping two shields, or have them only equip the highest DV/PV one and remove the other.

07-25-2016 08:00 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I'd assume this applies to all monsters, as monster inventories in ADOM are not particularly specific. IIRC, there's other weird things that can happen like a monster can equip four suits of armor at once.
As far as I understand, then monster equips something he gets DV/PV, autocurse on item trigegrs but that's just it. No slots occupied, no intrinsincs, no damage boost from weapon , etc.

It would be nice if this mess was fixed, but dual shields is not really main thing I would worry about (mobs dying from burning hands with red dragon scale mail equipped breaks immersion worse).

08-28-2016 03:27 PM
The Creator
Monsters will no longer dual-wield shields as the monster AI is not really up to such advanced tactics. Thus I decided to forbid this completely.

+ Reply