Combat damage multipliers not applied correctly
issueid=4488 09-26-2016 07:34 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Combat damage multipliers not applied correctly

ADOM applies some combat damage multiplies only after penetrating effects have been added (e.g. PV has been added to damage). This leads to absurd damage numbers in some cases.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4488
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r70 (v2.2.4)
Fixed Version ADOM r71 (v2.2.5)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-01-2016 09:54 PM
Ancient Member
So if I understand this correctly, the damage for a penetrating crit used to be (damage + pv) * crit_multiplier and is now (damage * crit_multiplier) + pv ?

This seems huge, if the damage had an improper calculation all these years. Would explain a few deaths i've experienced...

10-02-2016 07:09 AM
Ancient Member
The most notorious example of this is phase dagger vs. greater moloch. Phase dagger adds monster PV to damage... so phase dagger does 1d4 + 100 vs PV 100 to give 1d4 as expected. But if phase dagger is blessed, then the bonus gets multiplied through: (1d4+100)*1.5 = 150 damage vs 100 PV gives 50 damage total.

Weirdly, IIRC, this doesn't apply to regular weapons of penetration. These just ignore PV outright. No idea how it works with monsters.

10-02-2016 06:36 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
The most notorious example of this is phase dagger vs. greater moloch. Phase dagger adds monster PV to damage... so phase dagger does 1d4 + 100 vs PV 100 to give 1d4 as expected. But if phase dagger is blessed, then the bonus gets multiplied through: (1d4+100)*1.5 = 150 damage vs 100 PV gives 50 damage total.

Weirdly, IIRC, this doesn't apply to regular weapons of penetration. These just ignore PV outright. No idea how it works with monsters.
Ah, didn't consider that this might be pve damage, I have a hunch the code for monsters damaging the player is entirely separate...

+ Reply