UI/UX: 'u'se probably should ignore the tool slot (& other refinements)
issueid=5343 10-14-2017 09:53 AM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
UI/UX: 'u'se probably should ignore the tool slot (& other refinements)

New players seem to understand 'u'sing items and 'u'se more and more has become an introductory catch-call command in ADOM as it also triggers, reading, eating, zapping, etc. Thus it is rather bothersome that e.g. when you play an archer and try to 'u'se something you get told that you need find wood to use the fletchery set and that's it. Completely shuts off the player from a very important command.

Instead 'u'se should ignore the tool slot (but allow switching to the inventory screen to use something there) and provide a quick hint for 'U'se. Maybe unlock also should be moved from Ctrl-u elsewhere in order to use that for 'use tool' and completely get rid of the two letter :u (which new players don't understand in any case.

The tutorial then probably just should introduce 'u'se as the one catch-all introductory item-handling command and point to 'e'at, 'r'ead, 'z'ap, etc. after 2000 turns have passed or so and we can assume that he player has become accustomed to the more basic commands.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5343
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.5
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-14-2017 06:37 PM
Hmm, not sure I like this idea. I use 'u' w/ the tool slot constantly (I like to put pickaxes there to minimize the number of button presses while digging), and having played a bit I know that I can 'U'se any item from my backpack whenever I want. Having 'u' ignore the toolslot completely removes the advantage of it over 'U' in my opinion, and will just add extra button presses for every use action.

10-14-2017 06:56 PM
You could also just reverse "u" and "U". That wouldn't be too bad.

10-14-2017 08:19 PM
What's the point of a tool slot anyway? Early game I keep things I might want to 'u'se there (spense, moss, pickaxe, rarely a torch), late game it's an Orb slot. If you remove 'u'sing a tool slot, it will end up as a torch/Orb slot only? And there's a new command needed to light the torch.

10-15-2017 10:02 AM
I vote for reversing 'u' and 'U'. I admit it's not useful command for new players, but advanced players actually use it a lot. I hate going thru all inventory in search of that pick axe when I can just equip it.

Another point is that Tool slot is hardly used in Adom. If you want to ignore tool slot when 'u' is pressed, then 'u' command should only show list of tools and not the whole inventory. Otherwise it's the same as accessing inventory with 'i' and using proper tool from there.

10-17-2017 12:29 AM
The Creator
Ok, I have changed this somewhat more in order to make it more logical (and I already love it after my first two test games - I feel you get accustomed to it very quickly):
- u now allows you to choose a usable item from your inventory.
- U now allows you to choose a usable item from your backpack.
- Ctrl-u now uses the item in the tool slot.
- Lock/unlock (formerly Ctrl-u) has been moved to Ctrl-l.

The new u/U binding now resembles the i/I binding for handling your inventory.

Ctrl-l/Ctrl-u remapping probably doesn't matter as it isn't used that often and never was very mnemonic.

Additionally the backpack list now in both u/U modes will only display items that actually can be used (and no longer all items).
The normal inventory still displays all items as it would be confusing to suddenly show empty slots. But the unusable slots will be grayed out (and thus not selectable).

10-17-2017 07:10 AM
Ancient Member
this sounds like a massive pain for mining.

10-18-2017 12:21 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
this sounds like a massive pain for mining.
Why?

10-18-2017 12:22 AM
The Creator
(and you still can re-map keybindings if you don't like it - my impression is that it 95% of the time is a huge improvement)

+ Reply