UI/UX: Better naming for "Handle environment"
issueid=5418 10-17-2017 09:19 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
UI/UX: Better naming for "Handle environment"

The command name is kind of obscure. Maybe should name it "Interact with environment" or something similar. Suggestions welcome!
Issue Details
Issue Number 5418
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-17-2017 11:10 PM
How many places in the game is this actually used? The only ones I can think of are the lever that Thrundarr stands on, and then the two levers in D50. (It is, of course, entirely possible that I am forgetting some.) If these are the only two places where it's used, could it be renamed to "pull lever" or something similar? Or could it even be merged into the Use command, giving a "do you want to pull the lever/handle the object/whatever?" option if you use that command in a context-sensitive space?

10-18-2017 06:00 AM
Ancient Member
The "h"andle command has been expanded to a generic "handle dungeon feature" command, so it's not just levers anymore.

10-20-2017 07:23 AM
I would deprecate that command and make use of 'u'se one which could simply prompt if you're standing on the dungeon feature if the one would like to use it. 'h'andle can be left for old folks.

But if not... In other roguelikes such command is also called 'I'nteract (with environment) or e'x'amine (environment).

10-23-2017 09:02 PM
The Creator
Fixed. By renaming the command help text to "Handle something" and the quick hint to "Handle environmental feature". We'll test this.

+ Reply