Damage spikes for monsters are too big
issueid=5966 01-26-2018 09:36 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
Damage spikes for monsters are too big

Using stethoscope on a large kobold, he is supposed to be dealing only 2-9 damage.
But he just one-shotted my giant ant warrior pet (12 PV, 24 HP + blessed status), with one single attack, and monster memory says the maximum dealt damage is 48!
And the kobold wasn't enraged or anything of the sort.

This is way too high, and shouldn't be possible!
Issue Details
Issue Number 5966
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Not a Bug
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM 3.0.6
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone Important Bugfixes
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

01-26-2018 10:36 PM
Ancient Member
Interesting, I wonder if monsters didn't get their melee crit damage range nerfed when PCs did waaaay back in the 90s. I remember soirana tested kick crit range and found its 2-5x dmg still. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's either up to 3x or 5x)

01-26-2018 11:07 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
Interesting, I wonder if monsters didn't get their melee crit damage range nerfed when PCs did waaaay back in the 90s. I remember soirana tested kick crit range and found its 2-5x dmg still. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's either up to 3x or 5x)
It is probably 6x, as the kobold leveled up after killing the ant (so his normal attack was 8 damage maximum).

01-26-2018 11:44 PM
Ancient Member
Oh wait, this just occurred to me: it could've penetrated the armor and critical hit. So 48-12= 36. 36/8= 4.5x dmg?

Unless the dmg formula got screwed up and penetration gets multiplied with a critical? So 8+12=20. 20*2=40 that could get you some big numbers.

02-12-2018 09:23 AM
The Creator
When monsters fight each other there is a 10% chance for a critical hit. A critical hit multiplies damage by x2-5. So a large kobold could cause up to 45 points of damage on a lucky hit. The chance for that (after hitting) is about 0.2%. Additionally there is a 5% chance for an armor-penetrating hit - both combined occur in about 0.001% of all hits. So I don't see any real problem - the RNG just didn't like you :-)

02-13-2018 06:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
When monsters fight each other there is a 10% chance for a critical hit. A critical hit multiplies damage by x2-5. So a large kobold could cause up to 45 points of damage on a lucky hit. The chance for that (after hitting) is about 0.2%. Additionally there is a 5% chance for an armor-penetrating hit - both combined occur in about 0.001% of all hits. So I don't see any real problem - the RNG just didn't like you :-)
If possible, please check the code for the correctness of the calculations - I could swear I've seen such huge spikes at least several times, which should be impossible if their probability is really 1/100,000.

02-13-2018 10:30 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
If possible, please check the code for the correctness of the calculations - I could swear I've seen such huge spikes at least several times, which should be impossible if their probability is really 1/100,000.
I think I did so. But there are many other reasons for such spikes... special dungeon levels, special rooms, monsters that have become more experienced and thus are more powerful, etc. pp. (and if you are being attacked you might be cursed, doomed and whatever else).

+ Reply