Crash when trying to drop using :d ("Error: Window buffer capacity (24) exceeded")
issueid=6199 04-29-2018 03:37 AM
Number of reported issues by Hrogath: 1
Crash when trying to drop using :d ("Error: Window buffer capacity (24) exceeded")
Dropping unpaid items in shop causes game to crash

While visiting the High Mountain Village, I did what I always do in shops: pick everything up, and drop it in a corner. The game crashed the moment I used the :d command, with the following error: Error: Window buffer capacity (24) exceeded with line ''!

After this error, I restarted the game and tried to load my save, only to find that choosing the save takes me directly back to the main menu without any message. So the save is visible but not loadable. The only way I found to recover from this was to manually replace the save file with the latest automatic backup. When playing around with recreating the bug though, I could load the save just fine after crashing, so I suspect there may have been an unrelated issue caused by the recent renaming of my character, as the "broken" save file showed in the load game list with the old character name but the new name in the save file's name (i.e., "Beggar, a female level 15 mist elven wizard (Rog, Allandri.svg)"). I'd attach this save file as well, but I realised this issue too late and unfortunately I had already overwritten the file while exploring the crash problem.

After some further exploring of the bug, I found that the crash occurs whenever I try to use the :d command, or use the basic drop command and press 5 for special. The crash also only happens if I am carrying unpaid items (does not seem to depend on which of the unpaid items I'm carrying). If I drop every single unpaid item by manually going through my inventory, I can avoid repeating the crash.

It might be worth mentioning that I did the exact same thing of dropping unpaid items just a while earlier in a ring shop in UD:7 on my way to the HMV. No idea why the HMV shop crashed but the UD:7 one didn't.

I've attached the adom.err and two zipped save files. The save files are otherwise identical, but in no_items.zip I've manually dropped all the items I was carrying, since I realised it'd probably be more convenient for whoever debugs this. So with that file, the bug is repeatable by picking up any unpaid item and using :d or pressing d and then 5.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6199
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10 (Steam)
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 3.1.5
Fixed Version ADOM 3.3.0
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-07-2018 05:08 PM
The Creator
Wow, you managed to find a combination of items that causes the content of the :d window to become too long. I didn't think this was possible.

09-07-2018 06:44 PM
The Creator
Fixed. There still is a minor graphical glitch in graphical mode but it's workable and does not hinder the player in any way.

+ Reply