Hunger messages misleading
issueid=626 11-15-2011 03:14 PM
Number of reported issues by ronarscorruption: 47
Hunger messages misleading

I think it'd make more sense if your hunger meter wasn't:
hungry -> very hungry -> starving -> almost starved

The addition of the almost made it seem like I suddenly ate something. Maybe 'painfully starved'? I'm just saying that the almost makes it seem like it's less dangerous to be almost starved then it is to be starving
Issue Details
Issue Number 626
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category UI
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-16-2011 01:48 AM
"Starving" could be replaced by "badly malnourished" and be moved to where "almost starved" is.

11-16-2011 02:26 AM
The current arrangement makes sense to me.

You get very hungry, then you reach the point where you're starving. "Starved" would mean dead, so when you're almost dead, you're "almost starved". So you go from "starving" to being "almost starved".

11-16-2011 11:55 AM
Ancient Member
Objectively it makes sense but thematically the "almost starved" message simply doesn't look as urgent as "starving". A rewording would help emphasise the meaning, especially to new players.

11-16-2011 01:28 PM
"dying of starvation"? Would look very urgent, especially in red font

11-16-2011 02:47 PM
I agree - almost starved, though technically a more dire case, is less urgent than starving.

Especially with how long it takes to actually waste away from starvation - years!

11-16-2011 09:48 PM
How about "Hungry" > "Very Hungry" or "Hungry!" > "Malnourished" > "Dying!"?

11-17-2011 09:25 AM
The problem with using "dying" just on its own is that it's not really that intuitive on it's own - a player might look at that and think "oh damn, what am I dying of?!" And technically a player could be 'dying' from poison/sickness/old age/bleeding or a variety of other non-food related things.

Unless 'dying' is a status modifier that is added in addition to the starving status? So you would have

Starving
Dying

both in your side toolbar looking like that? So any status effects you have that are putting you close to death like poison or sickness could giving you the 'dying' status as well.

11-17-2011 06:34 PM
Dying wouldn't work unless it's imminent - which in JADE, it isn't. Perhaps "Starving" -> "Wasting Away"?

11-17-2011 07:03 PM
So "Hungry" > "Hungry!" or "Very Hungry" > "Malnourished" > "Starving!"?

I would think that "Wasting Away" wouldn't work for the same reason that "Dying!" wouldn't--it isn't intuitive enough by itself, because it could be caused by something other than starving to death (like a disease).

11-18-2011 05:32 PM
it's the same problem with Malnourished , as you suggested. That's more of a long-term state you can be in, even if you eat regularly.

Someone who only eats cheetos can be overfed *and* malnourished, for instance.

How about; Hungry->Ravenous->Famished->Starving

11-18-2011 07:13 PM
sounds good :)
Only Ravenous has some extra meanings which are not really useful, the same as with a word like 'drooling'. I would be OK with 'very hungry' instead, so:
Hungry - Very hungry - Famished - Starving

+ Reply