ID staircase bug with overburdened characters
issueid=719 02-02-2012 08:07 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
ID staircase bug with overburdened characters
Trying to ascend an ID staircase while Overburdened! changes the level number while not taking you upstairs.

Problem
Trying to ascend an ID staircase while Overburdened! changes the level number while not taking you upstairs. The new number is still taken as the current level when trying to ascend or descend with a lower burden.

How to reproduce it
1. load or generate a new character.
2. go to the Infinite Dungeon.
3. descend until, say, level 20. Remember the particular number.
4. stand on the stairs and overburden the character somehow (picking up lots of huge rocks/large rations/goldm Strength of Atlas wearing off but not crushing you, etc.)
5. press the < key several times.
6. drop your extra load, attempt to ascend once again, and note which level you're on now.

Notes
I have only tested this on the Infinite Dungeon. I don't know if it works on other dungeons.

From my non-coder perspective, it'd appear that the game is editing the value that holds your current ID level before taking you to it. You can't go up because you're overburdened so the new level is not generated, but the value has already been decreased. It can go into zero and the negatives this way (i.e. I2 -> I1 -> I0 -> I-1). Attempting to ascend the staircase from level 0 or a negative one if not overburdened will take you to the wilderness map.

If you can overburden yourself easily (huge rocks), this can be readily abused to go from a very deep level straight to the surface in as much time as it takes to spam the < key, without facing any monsters or receiving lots of background corruption. In theory, you could go from I2000 to the surface by just holding < for 2000 turns, dropping stuff, then pressing the key again.
Issue Details
Issue Number 719
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows NT
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-02-2012 08:20 PM
Ancient Member
Does not seem to work in regular dungeons.

12-11-2012 12:41 PM
The Creator
Fixed.

+ Reply