Enhancements for 1.2.0 release
issueid=761 02-26-2012 08:45 AM
Administrator
Number of reported issues by jt: 159
Enhancements for 1.2.0 release
My personal TODO/NICE2HAVE list for the 1.2.0 release on other platforms

I'm creating this ticket just as a reminder for myself, but feel free to comment.

• fullscreen mode for Windows and OSX (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=475) Maybe this isn't necessary after all, we probably should wait for feedback from the NotEye integration.
  • better font selection on Windows and OSX
  • HTML manual
  • (playable?) tutorial that helps new players

Open issues:

• the OSX version uses the Carbon framework... lot's of it is deprecated. Maybe CoreText is an option... or maybe even an OpenGL based view system like for iOS!? Again we should wait if the NotEye integrated version is sufficient.

Fixed:

• the SAS C compiler for the Amiga does not support 64 bit... I need to switch to another compiler for this (e.g. Storm C, VBCC, gcc...) I'm using GCC now, this works fine.
Issue Details
Issue Number 761
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-26-2012 09:48 AM
Ancient Member
Are we able to suggest enhancements to the game itself, or just technical aspects (like fullscreen mode)?

02-26-2012 11:42 AM
Administrator
Please create separate "feature" tickets for all the things you would like to see in the next version(s). You can then link them here, if you think they could be a nice addition to 1.2.0.

Keep in mind that each new feature might delay the next release, so I'm not promising anything. I would love to add my list of enhancements to the next version. But maybe some/all of those will first be available on a later release. We'll see. :)

02-26-2012 07:25 PM
Ancient Member
Is an HTML manual really necessary? That sounds like a lot of work, and the current manual is pretty excellent. How would you navigate it without a mouse in-game anyway?

02-26-2012 07:42 PM
Ancient Member
I'd vote for an 1.2.0 release with bugfixes only (well, and technical stuff like the fullscreen/font size issues and so on), and leaving the new features/content for 1.2.1. For two reasons: one is impatience, and the other is that we have been playing 1.1.1 for so many years that we know its quirks and its game balance, so it would be nice to have a stable bugfix release in the same spirit, since new features may alter the balance and game strategies.

02-27-2012 12:21 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by j.t
Please create separate "feature" tickets for all the things you would like to see in the next version(s). You can then link them here, if you think they could be a nice addition to 1.2.0.
Alright, will do. I've thought of some additions already - mostly minor stuff, but that I believe will add to the huge level of detail the game already has.

About an HTML manual, I think the "improved" guidebook already includes such a thing?

02-27-2012 05:36 AM
Ancient Member
As tempted as I am to suggest features for 1.2.0, I honestly agree with Al-Khawrizmi. I'd rather get some major bugfixes out the door in the near-future, and then worry about new features if/when a new version comes along.

02-27-2012 11:44 AM
Yes, I totally agree. Bugfixes should come first.

02-29-2012 05:36 PM
As mentioned, HTML manual is available here: http://adomgb.sweb.cz/adomman-toc.html. You can use it for 1.2.0 if you like.

03-02-2012 09:58 PM
The tutorial would be easy to implement. You're in a long corridor full of items with no enemies and the first item is Protector, but all the other items are horrifying cursed items and at the end of the tunnel you die to a stone block trap.

Then there's a message that says "basically the whole game goes like this."

03-19-2012 09:28 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by j.t
Extending Greater Identify a bit - http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=782

I believe it'd be a good addition which requires little effort.

12-31-2012 07:00 PM
The IGB html manual linked above is also mirrored here: http://www.natrox.org/adom/improved/adomman-toc.html

02-19-2013 02:38 AM
You can also find a downloadable version of the HTML manual here. The HTML version mentioned in this comment and the ones in the comments above are all based on the 1.1.1 manual. They could be a starting point, I think. Personally, I'd like the official html version of the manual to be a single long page with an index, like the Adom FAQ. This would facilitate text-searching the entire document within a browser window.

03-04-2013 02:27 AM
A future official ADOM tutorial could definitely borrow a few ideas from this.

+ Reply