Missile Weapons with Potions, Slings with Gems.
issueid=939 04-17-2012 08:12 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Missile Weapons with Potions, Slings with Gems.

Unlike every other item class in the game, potions do not give the "A <foo> only works in connection with arrows" (where <foo> is sling/bow/crossbow) message when attempting to shoot them from a missile weapon. This means that it is possible to shoot potions with a bow, crossbow, or sling.

The main benefit to this is that this allow the range of missile-fired potions to be increased dramatically. Normally, a thrown potion goes 3 squares. My level 50 archer can fire a potion of blindness from one end of the board to the other. Presumably other missile effects like to-hit and to-damage also seem to apply, but potions don't, AFAIK, do any damage anyway.

How to trigger:

-Remove all missile weapons and ammo.
-Equip a potion in the missile slot.
-Equip a bow, crossbow, or sling.
-Shoot as normal.

The same method can be used to fire gems from a sling (but not a bow or crossbow). This may be intentional, but I'd doubt it. Gems shot from a sling gain all damage bonuses, AFAIK, and gems of fire shot from a sling still explode as normal.
Issue Details
Issue Number 939
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-17-2012 08:51 PM
Ancient Member
The same method can be used to fire gems from a sling (but not a bow or crossbow). This may be intentional, but I'd doubt it.
What are gems other than valuable rocks? :)

I knew you could sling potions, but not that (cross)bows had the same effect.

04-18-2012 03:06 AM
Ancient Member
Well, if its intended that gems should be fired out of a sling, I think that it would be reasonable to make them show up in the ammo list when you have a sling equipped rather than going through a backroads way of getting there.

04-18-2012 08:02 AM
Ancient Member
I think gems from a sling makes sense as a feature. I agree they should be shown as ammo though.

11-01-2012 08:05 AM
I would keep slings firing gems and potions as a feature, too. It would make slings more unique, especially if you make crystals of fire explode on impact. Maybe it would stop people from saying "Whirlwind sucks lololololol". Besides, slings have actually been used to launch various odd missiles like (old-fashioned) grenades and flasks of burning oil.

11-01-2012 12:16 PM
I am in favor of keeping slings as they are. Fix the bugs with crossbow shooting potions. Keep the ability to sling them.

11-01-2012 04:06 PM
Ancient Member
Golden balls should also show up as ammo for slings.

Yeah, I know, it's nitpicky...

12-11-2012 10:29 AM
The Creator
Fixed everything :-) (I hope)

06-10-2013 01:54 PM
You should bring it back for slings. Throwing a bottle out of a sling is pretty easy (I've used slings a lot as a hobby). I particularly liked how you had to first arm the potion, THEN the sling, as this represents how it works in real life. :)

06-10-2013 02:17 PM
Ancient Member
The fix already allows that, and when improper ammo is equipped with a sling, the game says you should insert "potions, stones or bullets" - making slinging potions a fully documented ability :D

Golden balls can be equipped, but not shot, it seems.

+ Reply