Turning Charisma into a useful attribute
issueid=2620 01-10-2014 03:42 AM
Number of reported issues by IGB: 12
Turning Charisma into a useful attribute

How about a possibility of talking humanoid monsters into neutrality using Charisma, with effect similar to the Calm Monster spell. How it would work: upon chatting to hostile humanoid, there will be Ch/10 % base chance that the monster will turn neutral (that means with Ch=99 about 10% chance). It would work only if the PC has not yet attacked the monster, and of course not for uniques, probably also not vaults. The chance would be improved to (Ch+Ap)/10 % if the monster is of opposite gender. Then add/substract 0.1% per level difference between the monster and PC (higher level monsters should be harder to turn neutral). Add 1% if the monster is the same race as the PC. Substract 1% or more if the races hate each other (dwarven PC trying to talk an orc into neutrality should be harder). Add 1% if they are the same alignment and not chaotic.
If the check succeeds, message: "You succeded in persuading -foo- to be neutral!" and the PC would also get fraction xp (like for saccing), and +1 alignment. Killing the monster later would yield no xp, and appropriate alignment drop. If the check fails, standard message is displayed and subsequent attempts with the same monster are automatic fail.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2620
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-10-2014 04:39 AM
Sounds like a decent idea - quite nice for early level characters who run into swordsmen/barbarians/whatever and are having trouble. A few additions:

1) Being in "Coward" or "Very Defensive" tactics mode should drastically reduce the chances of success. (to keep players from scumming by going into coward and 'c'hatting over and over - there should be an actual risk to this. Also, because how charismatic and persuasive are you going to be while cowering?)
2) "Haggling" should be renamed "persuasion" and also affect this. (To make haggling at least somewhat useful)

01-10-2014 06:55 AM
Ancient Member
I would say you should get the same experience as you would when making peace with a panicking monster. Otherwise I'm still going to rather get the monster to panic and then offer peace.

I would also say the chances of success should be somewhat higher. I mean with a Charisma score of 99 you 10 times more persuasive than your average individual. Your speech is basically hypnotic. Throw in an Appearance of 99 which should basically make everything freeze and stare and drool.

01-10-2014 07:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I would say you should get the same experience as you would when making peace with a panicking monster. Otherwise I'm still going to rather get the monster to panic and then offer peace.
It is the same fraction. IMO it should be usable in times you are not able to successfully defeat the monster, so making it panic is out of question. Simply an alternative to retreat, usable with level 1 PC's without any equipment. I agree that it should work only when in 'Normal' tactics setting - that is the "peaceful" setting.

01-10-2014 07:23 AM
Ancient Member
Oh, is it the same fraction? I always thought is was quite higher than what you'd get from sacrificing the monster. Not that I have ever consciously compared the experience gained, well in that case it's fine then.

01-10-2014 07:26 AM
Charisma not so useless stat im think,good idea overall,additional EXP helps with Pacifist game.
Also is great to add chance to Bribe/Calm humanoids with gold,like bandits,thugs, and other outlaw

01-10-2014 07:46 AM
Ancient Member
Why the need for talking? That just makes it grinding (encouraging people to talk repeatedly to every kobold they meet).

Instead, why not give charisma a strong, direct influence on the chance that monsters are neutral from the start? Has the same effect, except that you don't need to endlessly press the 'C' button.

01-10-2014 08:08 AM
Ancient Member
>Why the need for talking? That just makes it grinding (encouraging people to talk repeatedly to every kobold they meet).
>
>Instead, why not give charisma a strong, direct influence on the chance that monsters are neutral from the start? Has the same effect, except that you don't need to endlessly press the 'C' button.

Doesn't Appearance and possibly Charisma already have this influence on monsters? Anyway, this way you can get experience and a lawful alignment boost. ADOM is filled with 'grindy' things anyway, another one isn't changing that. If one wants to play a pacifist character, this idea would make things a little easier. At the moment you either have to get a pet to do the killing during the early game or try to circumvent weak hostile monsters, because attacking them will kill them as some of the early game monsters only have 1 HP.

01-10-2014 09:06 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Doesn't Appearance and possibly Charisma already have this influence on monsters?
Possibly, but that effect is currently so weak that you hardly see it at all. Nearly all monsters you meet are hostile or turn hostile very soon, no matter what your stats are.

01-10-2014 10:19 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by IGB
It is the same fraction.
This is definitely not true. Making peace gives reasonable xp (comparable to killing).

+ Reply