Rework the bonuses granted from the tactics skill
issueid=1137 07-30-2012 03:18 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Rework the bonuses granted from the tactics skill

For the sake of compactness I'm going to use normal+ to abbreviate normal, aggressive, very aggressive, and berserk, and defensive- to abbreviate defensive, very defensive, and coward.

Currently tactics gives the following bonuses when leveled up: +1 to hit in normal+ at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, ..., +1 to damage in normal+ at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, ..., +1 to DV in aggressive+ at levels 10, 20, 30, ..., +1 to hit in defensive- at levels 5, 10, 15, 20, ..., and +1 to damage in defensive- at levels 10, 20, 30, ... .

The problem I see with the scheme is that defensive tactical stances become completely obsolete at high levels of tactics. At level 10 there is no longer any point to fighting in the normal stance because aggressive has no DV penalty, at level 20 there is no longer any point to fighting in the defensive stance because aggressive also gives +1 DV, very defensive becomes obsolete at level 30, and coward becomes obsolete at level 50. Essentially, the more you invest in the tactics skill the fewer options you have - plus it makes no sense that fighting in an aggressive stance can eventually (by level 30) be safer than fighting in a defensive stance.

I think a simple fix would be to instead give +1 DV to all tactical settings every 10 levels - I don't think this would make defensive stances too strong, since they already gain bonuses to hit and to damage at less than half the rate of aggressive stances.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1137
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.8
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-30-2012 05:11 PM
Makes sense. Plus I'd let aggressive tactics increase the chance of receiving critical hits, disarms and such, and defensive reduce it (not by a lot though). To make it a more interesting choice.

07-30-2012 06:03 PM
Ancient Member
Well, not so sure about getting crit more often (giants are pretty scary as is), but I agree that the extreme ends of the tactical spectrum should feel more different. In ADOM at 100 tactics I think the difference between coward and berserk was somewhere around 60 DV (this is probably too much) - the difference in ADOM II is small in comparison.

07-31-2012 12:41 PM
Well, when fighting a giant, I think defensive styles make more sense, right? (Or soon, ranged.... heh.) And that'd actually reduce the chance of criticals a little.

In a more finished version of the game, I'd imagine a melee character encountering a giant would go into coward mode, until she'd managed to slow/blind/disarm/poison/pin the giant. Then maybe switch to berserk to deliver the killing blow(s).

+ Reply