Simple way how to prevent massive save scumming
issueid=1112 07-01-2012 08:50 AM
Number of reported issues by Orion: 16
Simple way how to prevent massive save scumming

There are one simple thing I would like to be added to the game to prevent massive save scumming:
game can be saved after every 1000 (or 100 or even more) turns. This way, simple and massive save scumming is prohibited.

The same can be applied to classical adom also.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1112
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.3.0
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-04-2012 04:22 AM
Ancient Member
Do you mean like an autobackup that restores the game if it crashes? Or a savegame that can be restored if you die?

If it's the latter, I'm not exactly sure how giving people an option to savescum as much as they want, and making it very convenient to do so is exactly a method for preventing save scumming.

07-05-2012 06:12 PM
Ancient Member
I think he means that there should be a restriction on how often you can save. So if you load a game, you can't save and quit until a certain amount of turns has passed.

07-06-2012 03:52 PM
How can this help? You will still be able to backup saves.
Yeah, I've heard a guy that killed a balor for about a day in real time, saving each successful turn.
But this is just a perversion. Most savescummers are just newbies that want to see what's there further. They do not need to save often.

07-10-2012 05:00 AM
I think it should just auto-save every time you change maps or if you are below 25% health, that way it would be pretty hard to 'cheat'. I know a lot of that comes down to self control, but this might lessen the likelihood.

07-12-2012 12:29 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
I think he means that there should be a restriction on how often you can save. So if you load a game, you can't save and quit until a certain amount of turns has passed.
Yes, I meant exactly that.

10-23-2012 05:14 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Orion
to prevent massive save scumming:
game can {only} be saved after every 1000 (or 100 or even more) turns
What would happen instead? The game says "No sorry, you may not exit this application." ? If I sit down to play some ADOM and then get a call and need to leave the house, am I then forced to either leave my computer on, burning precious electricity (and coal to generate that electricity) or let my precious ADOM character die permanently a quitter's death?

The solution to save scumming lies with the user. If you want to cheat, then cheat. If not, then don't. The programmer has already done his part.

I did plenty of save scumming when I was first trying to learn the game. And now I don't. The anti-save scumming technology didn't change; I did. If you feel the desire to make backup copies of your game, then DO IT and don't feel bad. Your perspective may change in time, or it may not, and that's fine.

+ Reply