Change the quit prompt somewhat.
issueid=2417 10-25-2013 02:53 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Change the quit prompt somewhat.

Long time players have saved many ADoM games. They press 'S' and 'y' to save a game without reading the prompt.

The command to quit the game is 'Q' and then one is prompted whether you really want to quit, 'y' being affirmative.

On a qwerty keyboard it is easy to fatfinger the q key instead of the s key and then accidentily quit a game instead of saving it.

Can we somehow change the quit prompt so that answering 'y' will not quit the game and instead 'n' will result in a quit.

Maybe, "You are about to quit this game, losing the character forever. Do you want to rather continue this game? [Y, n]"
Issue Details
Issue Number 2417
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 18
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 21
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-25-2013 03:12 PM
Let's not over complicate this. How about changing the commands to "[S]ave and quit". And "[Q]uit without Saving". This way keeping or losing your character is implied.

10-25-2013 03:21 PM
Boat, the thing he wants to change is how easy it is to lose a character by absent-mindedly pressing Q+y before realizing you meant S+y.Renaming the commands (your suggestion) doesn't change this at all :)

10-25-2013 03:46 PM
Ancient Member
Copying my comment from the duplicate RFE:

Well, quitting is quitting, and saving the game is saving the game. If you're afraid of doing the former by accident (a very real and sad possibility I'm not downplaying), you can remap the keyboard.

10-25-2013 06:22 PM
Ancient Member
You aren't thinking through the ramifications of this change. Quit warnings in the wider world, not just ADOM, are nearly always of the form "are you sure you want to quit?". This is heavily ingrained in many computer users, and this change would run counter not just to people's habits, but basically the entire computing world. It would result in far more lost characters than someone fat-fingering q for s.

10-25-2013 07:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by StViers
Boat, the thing he wants to change is how easy it is to lose a character by absent-mindedly pressing Q+y before realizing you meant S+y.Renaming the commands (your suggestion) doesn't change this at all :)
Thanks for clarifying.

I still don't think swapping the y/n is a good idea because it goes against the rest of the game design. I have never accidentally lost a char, because the "are you sure" has been sufficient.

10-25-2013 07:56 PM
Administrator
Since "save" is used a lot more often than "quit", I would propose the following:

1) keep "save" the way it is
2) re-order the "y/n" question for quit and add an additional "y/n" check, e.g.

first question: "If you quit your character will be lost forever. Do you rather want to continue the game? (Y/n)"
if you press "n" you are asked a second time: "Are you absolutely sure you want to quit? (n/Y)"

So to quit you have to press two different key: "n" and "y".

If you want to save and are asked a second time, you should notice that something is wrong.;)

10-25-2013 08:25 PM
Ancient Member
Please don't do that.
I rollscum a lot, this key madness will be the end of me.

Shift-Q/shift-S prompts were like that for ages and nobody was complaining. If you don't check what you do, this is your problem, not the game's. Just like those extra space mistakes in bash "rm -rf".

10-25-2013 09:22 PM
I don't think it's a big issue, but maybe automatically saving last character that quit to specified file would be a good solution? Every new character will override last one and can be restored after quit.

10-25-2013 10:03 PM
Ancient Member
In ten years of playing I never felt like Shift-S vs Shift-Q was an issue. One confirmation is enough.

10-25-2013 10:28 PM
Ancient Member
Well, I have pressed Shift-E, Shift-W, Shift-A, Shift-D and Shift-Q many times when I actually wanted to press Shift-S. I have never accidentily quit a character however, because I know about the danger.

It happened to somebody else today, so I thought it might be a good idea, but obviously it interferes with the roll-scumming program. I did not realize that, sorry.

Can't you just change the roll-scummer.

10-26-2013 03:57 AM
Personally I have no problem with the current quit prompt, but that's because I have the 'q' and 's' keys far apart; I don't mind if someone needs it to change. Maybe we could have a new configuration variable, Extended_Quit_Prompt: if it is set to true, the game will use the quit prompt suggested by jt.

10-26-2013 07:01 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, that could also work. The scummers just need to set it to false then. The default being true, of course.

Dark Wizard's suggestion sounds like a good alternative too, unless it also interfere with rollscumming?

10-26-2013 07:57 AM
Ancient Member
No, you don't get it, I rollscum manually and I do not wish to press even more buttons than now.

10-26-2013 08:17 AM
Ancient Member
Neither of Dark Wizard or TDau's suggestions will make you press more buttons while scumming.

In fact, my original suggestion doesn't make you press more buttons either.

10-26-2013 10:14 AM
Ancient Member
I have yet to make that mistake once, since I've never lost a char that way, in ~15 years of playing this game.
Q and S are relatively far away from each other to prevent confusing the two with one finger.
Take no offense but if your sausage of a finger is big enough to accidentally press q instead of s, then instead of playing adom you should be seeking medical help, it's an emergency, obesity of this kind.

10-26-2013 10:15 AM
Ancient Member
Your original suggestion is pretty ludicrous. The very best way to have accidents happen is to switch around y and n on something willy-nilly after closing in on 20 years.

"Oops, hit q by accident. Just say no---"
"WHAT KIND OF IDIOT DESIGNED THIS"

Please, please don't fix what isn't actually broken. People who manage to accidentally quit their characters with the current one confirmation setup just straight up deserve it. I'm sorry, but we do. We die in-game, too, if we don't pay attention.

10-26-2013 12:04 PM
I'm in total agreement. Having the 'Y/N' changed, for me, would make my character-killing WAY WAY WAY more common than it is with an accidental fatfingering/brain-burping.

When every other game in the world has 'Really quit? y/N' or some derivative therein, having one be totally changed around is just a bad idea. Not because of conformity, but because of the 'training of years and years'.

10-26-2013 02:57 PM
Ancient Member
What about a more prompt just before the quit confirmation? That way players will notice that 'Y' doesn't work, actually read the what's on-screen and then realise they made a typo.

You are about to quit the game. (more)
Are you sure you want to quit? [y/N]

10-26-2013 03:55 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
You aren't thinking through the ramifications of this change. Quit warnings in the wider world, not just ADOM, are nearly always of the form "are you sure you want to quit?". This is heavily ingrained in many computer users, and this change would run counter not just to people's habits, but basically the entire computing world. It would result in far more lost characters than someone fat-fingering q for s.
This.

If y/n are reversed in the quit command, I know I will lose characters. I expect "n" to roll back the quit, as it does in many programs.

If you want to make it sure the player is 100% aware of what he's doing, make him type "yes" or use an uppercase "Y", but not "n", please.

Another option: make Quit Alt-Q instead of Shift-Q.

10-26-2013 06:11 PM
Ancient Member
As it has been already stated the original suggestion will very likely cause a lot more lost characters instead of reducing them.

Dark Wizard's suggestion is good one though but has one major drawback: Quitting the game shows or offers to show a lot of details about the character, items and current level that are not supposed to be seen before the game is really over.

+ Reply