Bring back background corruption
issueid=6431 12-18-2018 04:56 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Bring back background corruption

Back in 2014, background corruption rates in high-DL areas were reduced (2599). This was with the rationale that the background corruption rate was overly punishing to players trying to reach high levels. I think that this adjustment would be safe to roll back, due to the following changes over the years:
  1. Corruption is tracked with greater precision. Corruption resistance from things such as Lawful alignment and month of the Unicorn works properly on background corruption instead of being lost to rounding errors.
  2. There's more easy-to-get corruption removal. The Ice Queen provides four potions of cure corruption and the Fungoid Overlord drops one mushroom of purity on average.
  3. Appearance is actually a useful attribute for mitigating corruption. Even hideous characters can stretch their corruption removal supplies through the use of Appearance-boosting items, such as the new, farm-able mushroom of the glow.
  4. Powerful anti-corruption items have been added. Pure items provide nearly full immunity to background corruption, and the staff of purification can deal with pretty much any corruption problem other than Mana Battery.
  5. Many late game areas have been added to smooth the process of reaching high level. Places such as the Heavenly Area and the Merchant Guild provide a lot of XP without the character needing to spend an excessive amount of turns. Even the more spread-out Rolf Quest gives good XP for the turns invested.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6431
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10 (Steam)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 3.3.2
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-18-2018 06:17 AM
Ancient Member
I wholeheartedly agree. My latest winner had only gotten one single corruption in the entire game, after fully clearing two greater vaults and the entire final level. (I'm not counting the second corruption that I had gotten from playing with potions of raw chaos.) And he had a whole pile of items to deal with it, including not only SoCR, but also the potions from the ice queen and shrooms, as you say.

Thanks for submitting this RFE.

12-20-2018 03:46 PM
I agree. I've admittedly only won with the 'easy' classes (wizard and archer) and more often benefit from L corruption resistance than C corruption acceleration... but as the game currently proceeds, I don't worry about corruption. It's not threatening / i don't worry at all about transforming into chaos, and i have so many sources of removal that i effectively get to pick/ keep only beneficial conditions. That is to say, at present the game is easier than if corruption was turned off entirely.

+ Reply